test

Alienware M17xR4 not recognizing its own power supply - Dell's fix: replace mainboard

n13L5

This started the third time I booted after I got the machine...

You turn on the system and get this message:

"Please use the original Alienware power supply.
System will run in reduced performance mode,
as there may not be enough power.
The battery will not be charged"

Now, I was, of course, using the original power supply, I had pulled it out of the box less than 2 hours before...

Dell Support guy told me one thing, then passed me to another guy who told me something different, and then a third guy, who had me try starting it up with and without battery a few times and then proceeded to tell me they'd need to replace the mainboard.

Now, I still remember a Dell technician coming to my office in the 90's to repair a similarly chunky and also brand new Inspiron, which had cost more than twice as much as my current Alienware system. This Dell technician, after introducing himself, locked his gaze on my pristine laptop and pulled out a truly gigantic screwdriver... something you'd expect to be used for tractor repair. Looking at him and that screwdriver, I couldn't stop myself from pointing out to him, that this notebook was brand new and didn't have a scratch on it, and asked him to be careful to not scratch it, for I'd be calling Dell to request replacements for any surface left in less than perfect condition.

I wasn't trying to be an ass, but I had seen what Toshiba techs did to one of my customers' notebooks, like turning it over and spinning it around on a table full of grit, which completely f'ed up the back of the display lid. Anyway, the Dell guy managed to scratch not one but several outer panels, even though I had provided him with a soft blanket to work on. And... he managed to break one of the hinges after trying to get it back together for almost 30 minutes. People at the office couldn't stop laughing, especially when I called Dell and made him tell them himself how his work turned out.

Well, if you actually read through all of this, you know why I'm scared having a Dell tech replace my mainboard...

sooo, does anyone know a less involved and risky fix for this issue?

A pilots greatest fear? Having to fly a plane that has just came back from repair... :p

Last edited:

BlackJair

This is a common issue on M17x's model.

As the most used fix:

Turn off your machine
unplug the laptop
Take off the battery
Press the alien head for over 25~30 segs
put the battery in
Plug the ac adapter
Turn on your pc.

If that doesn't fix the problem let me know, i had this problem for about 8 months and I had to buy a new adapter, power dc jack and a new motheboard at the end.

n13L5

Yeah, the first Dell guy had me do that. It didn't change anything. Then another Dell guy told me that was nonsense and had me do a couple of other tests involving removal of the battery etc.

When the battery is removed, the laptop recognizes the power supply
When the battery is mounted, the laptop fails to recognize the power supply.

The guy then had me flash the bios, even though the version from their site was not newer than the one on my machine. This did not change anything. So, all I would have to do is call Dell to get the mainboard replaced... *shrug...

Has anybody found it very hard to remove the battery? that slider needs a hard push and it doesn't give much grip...

BlackJair

Well, do this now:

Turn off your Laptop
Unplug ac adapter
Remove battery
Plug In the ac adapter
Turn ON your Laptop
Go to "Device Manager" and in the "Battery" section unistall the one called "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery".
Turn off your PC
Unplug ac adapter
Put the battery in
Plug in the ac adapter
Turn ON your Laptop

That should fix the problem. Let me know if it works.

Hattie

M17 won't power up

I followed this except that I disabled the battery rather than uninstalling it. Now it won't turn on at all. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Well, do this now:

Turn off your Laptop
Unplug ac adapter
Remove battery
Plug In the ac adapter
Turn ON your Laptop
Go to "Device Manager" and in the "Battery" section unistall the one called "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery".
Turn off your PC
Unplug ac adapter
Put the battery in
Plug in the ac adapter
Turn ON your Laptop

That should fix the problem. Let me know if it works.