Alienware M18x R3 overheating problem

Quaresma

Hi, two days ago I became a proud member\owner of the Alienware community, I bought a M18x R3 because of its amazing specs and because I have always wanted an Alienware computer! I am an Architect and a 3D designer by trade and I was very keen to see the (what I thought would be) amazing performance of my brand new machine, to my surprise, after 10 minutes of rendering a pretty simple scene the computer shut down due to overheating problems! At the very least I was and am disappointed and left scratching my head in regard of what to do.

Has anyone had similar problems and if so what should I do?

Thanks

PQ

MattyB

Did you buy it new or secondhand? If it's new you should have plenty of warranty left for Dell to help you out.
Were the fans going hard before it shut down and what came up to make you think it was a heat issue? Just need a bit more info first.

Quaresma

I bought it new, a beautiful M18x R3 and as far as warranty I bought it a few days ago also, after these issues I swapped it for another one and it had the same problem!
The fans weren't going hard at all what I did was get the HWiNFO64 program and manually tweaked the fans to full force and it still overheated! What got the processor to over heat was rendering with 3DS Max 2014 which also at the end of the day was usless because the processor was so hot that even the short time that it did render it was so inefficient because of the heat that the render times were almost as slow as my old i7 2.0.

MattyB

If it were me I would tear it down and repaste the CPU and GPUs. You obviously shouldn't have to do this yourself with such a new machine though. I find it fun to tear my machines down.
Sorry to hear you're having a bad experience. Not sure what else I can suggest at this point.

Quaresma

that's fine but for a $3000 machine you shouldn't have to do that plus you will loose all warranty on it if you take that route! If no one knows of a solution or if I am just unlucky and I should get a replacement machine and it won't have the same problem, then I think I might have to do the unthinkable and change it for an MIS with roughly the same specs.