Alienware power supplies 460 v 850

Nov 3, 2013
usa
I'm looking at a system New Aurora
i5 8400 with gtx 1070
But only power option in 850..which is more than I need.
Except the price for system is very good.

Most reviews I have seen Fault the power supply As Noisy

I am wondering is the 850 as noisy as the 460 or more?
would having the additional power of the 850 run quieter?

thanks

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2013
Virginia
it used to be that the 460 was the noisy one https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alienware+aurora+fan+noise (different search words can bring up different videos); the 460 isn't 80Plus rated so I tell eeveryone to avoid it and get the 80Bronze 850; the good part is you're aware that the fan or clicking noise is something to watch out for, you're also be good because the warranty will just swap out power supplies til one arrives that's going to be ok. There are two 850's, a Huntkey 48Y6D & Delta N1WJD, get the Delta > if it arrives noisy (fan or clicking) keep swapping it out under warranty for another N1WJD. The 460 is basic junk to anyone who's a hardware aficionado, an embarrassment, get the 850

Nov 3, 2013
usa
Well...Thanks Very informative
$1478 includes 4 years home service

Alienware Aurora R7 Aurora R7 Base Processor Intel® Core™ i5 8400 (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 4GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology) Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-bit English Chassis Options Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply with High Performance Liquid Cooling Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5 Memory 16GB, 2666MHz, DDR4 up to 64GB (Additional memory sold separately) Hard Drive 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

Nov 3, 2013
usa
Is the power supply modular..Seems switching out maybe a lot of work.(if it had clicking).if I do get it I have a 4 year warranty.

ok. I watched a AW disassemble PS vid.. modular .. so just unplug all cables from PS replace with new..That's it?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018
Well...Thanks Very informative
$1478 includes 4 years home service

Alienware Aurora R7 Aurora R7 Base Processor Intel® Core™ i5 8400 (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 4GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology) Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-bit English Chassis Options Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply with High Performance Liquid Cooling Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5 Memory 16GB, 2666MHz, DDR4 up to 64GB (Additional memory sold separately) Hard Drive 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
I just got the same one New in box, from Ebay and it turned the seller lived in my city. So we meet up and sold it to me for $1000, he had it listed for $1200.

revz

Feb 12, 2018
it used to be that the 460 was the noisy one https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alienware+aurora+fan+noise (different search words can bring up different videos); the 460 isn't 80Plus rated so I tell eeveryone to avoid it and get the 80Bronze 850; the good part is you're aware that the fan or clicking noise is something to watch out for, you're also be good because the warranty will just swap out power supplies til one arrives that's going to be ok. There are two 850's, a Huntkey 48Y6D & Delta N1WJD, get the Delta > if it arrives noisy (fan or clicking) keep swapping it out under warranty for another N1WJD. The 460 is basic junk to anyone who's a hardware aficionado, an embarrassment, get the 850
what is the difference between the Huntykey and the Delta? I had the delta and it has a loud coil whine they replaced it with another one but still there is a loud sound. I asked for a better power supply product from them thru email and they are sending me the HuntyKey 48Y6D

Jan 9, 2013
Virginia
My post you quoted had all kinds of typos, jheesh. Well, my guess, and it is a guess, is that they're basically the same design inside, but that Delta (I believe they're one of, if not the world's largest PSU maker) may use just a smidge better parts inside when it comes to materials choice, and if an expert reviewer had both disassembled, may find reasons to say the Delta was the slightly better product. As far as why are there two to choose from, I believe when Dell orders a batch of say 100,000 units, Delta will assemble as many as they can, and if any parts in their supply chain are short, HuntKey is contracted to pick up the slack. It's common for Dell to have multiple sources for the same parts, all that matters is demand can be met, which means there are Plan B partners, I assume like Huntkey. It is also possible that there's an arrangement that Huntkey is allowed to 'steal' the basic 850w design (in a world where Delta can't meet production demands), and perhaps can even produce them in bulk at a lower price. Pretend as well a scenario where Delta produces the bulk of the shipped power supplies while Huntkey produces the warranty units (in lower volume). When we go to the 80Plus website and get the Bronze certificates for both, the Delta scores a tad more efficient which may be due in part by including a better micro-electronic here or there, thus Delta is a name brand, Huntkey isn't. Where Huntkey may be a subtle knock-off design of the Delta, a less-costly substitute part, meaning Dell may pay $5 less for it. It's concerning of course that the name brand Delta has quality-control / noise issues, but otherwise, they're the same basic design inside to my knowledge, Delta scores just a teensy tad higher in efficiency which, given their reputation, makes sense. The fact it's noisy doesn't make sense, lol. I think the point is, when given a choice, go with the name brand big company with good reputation in hopes it can survive the warranty, but the substitute part is close enough not to worry too much which one you're using. If the Huntley used cost-cut materials, which is possible, they'd amount to dollars or cents, but not the type that make you lose faith in the whole basic design. I hope that covers it https://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSuppliesDetail.aspx?id=26&type=2