Alienware software framework error

recDNA

I recently began getting Microsoft framework.net errors. When they pop up you can hit continue or cancel but they prevent using Explorer or Chrome. In details alien fx was mentioned as the problem. As a result I went to msconfig startup and unchecked the Alienware required software from auto starting. This seems to cure the problem so far. Will this cause some problem I'm unaware of? Anyone else get this issue? I'm guessing it was caused by a Microsoft . net framework 4.5 security update from Windows update but can't be sure. Any help would be appreciated!

P. S. Mods, I accidentally posted this in another Alienware area 51 forum but this is the right one. I have an x51 r2.

MattyB

The AW Command Center does use the .net framework. I would suggest to completely unistall both items from your machine and then reinstall the latest .net first before reinstalling CC.
Hopefully that fixes it properly

recDNA

The AW Command Center does use the .net framework. I would suggest to completely unistall both items from your machine and then reinstall the latest .net first before reinstalling CC.
Hopefully that fixes it properly

I wouldn't know how to reinstall AW Command Center nor whatever the latest framework . net. It is my understanding that if I uninstall AW command center I will lose the drivers?

The error seems to be gone if I remove Alienware required software from startup. (but did not uninstall) Will that cause me some problem I'm unaware of?

MattyB

Uninstalling your Command Center won't cause any issues. It's just the software that runs you FX and a few others. It's usually the last thing to install when you do a windows reinstall.
After you uninstall it you can just go onto www.dell.com and go into their support section. You will be asked to enter your Service Tag. You can find this on a sticker to the back of your machine. You can then search for the drivers for your machine. The CC is in Applications. It's usually very easy to do. I've done in countless times on AW laptops, Auroras and X51s. If you uninstall the .net Framework and CC and then try to reinstall CC first, it will usually automatically prompt you to install the .net anyway since it needs it to run.
Software sometimes gets corrupted so uninstalling and reinstalling can usually fix most problems.
I'm not sure what removing that startup program will do. If you're happy with how you have it and it hasn't made any problems then leave it.

recDNA

If I just uninstall command center and never replace it will I need to replace drivers? I really have no use for it and I don't know how to uninstall net framework nor would I want to since my programs use it.

MattyB

You will not lose any drivers when uninstalling CC. You will just lose the ability to change the colors on your machine and a few other functions.
You can uninstall .net and CC in Control Panel - Uninstall a Program.
Uninstalling .net shouldn't affect any other programs since you will be reinstalling it straight away. Just close everything else before doing it. You can find the download on Microsoft's website. It should take about 5 mins to get it all done.
If you want you can also Create a Restore Point (just type that in on your start button if you have Windows 7 or on the tile screen in Windows 8). Then if something goes wrong you can restore your machine to a point before you made any changes. Very helpful if you're not 100% sure what you're doing).

recDNA

That's what I did after unchecked in startup. Just no reason to check it since I don't use cc. I will try your approach if error comes back

recDNA

How do I uninstall net framework? It isn't listed under programs and features?

MattyB

It should be listed under Microsoft there somewhere. It is on all my machines. Are you windows 7 or 8? Shouldn't make a difference though.

recDNA

Windows 7. You're saying it is listed under programs and features in control panel?

MattyB

Yes it definitely should be there. Strange if it isn't.

Dwm 2014-02-17 06-17-59-91.jpg

If not I would just go to Microsoft and download and install it and see what it says.

recDNA

Weird. It is there (in my system) but I couldn't find it. I even did a search and computer didn't find it.. Yet it is there in some sense because command center works. I'll check again when I get home. The people at the windows store said I could only delete it using the command prompt.

MattyB

That is weird. I did see online that other people have had issues removing it properly. Some need to use a 3rd party program.
When all else fails, a nice fresh reinstall of Windows does the trick! Last resort though.

recDNA

That would have to wait until summer vacation. In the mean time system restore back to January did the trick. If it comes back I'll go back to December etc.

MattyB

OK cool. When you restore you will most likely have to redo all the Windows updates again from that time. Hopefully doing that won't cause the problem to surface again......

recDNA

I restored yesterday and did the updates then put cc back in the startup menu and did a restart. So far so good. I also excluded Alienware program folders from mse scans.