test

Alienware storage

Jtravapd

512GB mSATA SSD Boot + 750GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s are the two hard drives that come with my laptop. It also comes with the slot loading bluray player. Does that mean I still have a available slot for another hard drive? I could have ordered the next step up in storage for Alienware which was 4 250 gig (or so) SSd drive in a raid array. But no DVD/bluray drive. Does that mean it has a total of 4 slots for drives? If ao can someone point me to a link where I can order one.

Also any suggestions would be great also. Should I pair a drive with one of the two drives I have for raid 0? Or just add another large drive for storage?

Also would I see any noticeable performance increase if I sold my 32 gigs of 1600 ram for faster speed ram?

MattyB

Your CPU will only be able to use 1600mhz ram unless you manage to do some overclocking.
I didn't know that there was a 512gb mSata available. Are you sure they haven't paired a 256gb mSata with a standard SSD in RAID 0? If they have then you won't have a spare HDD bay unless you convert your optical drive bay. You can find adapters on eBay. Then you can just buy an external drive if you want.

Jtravapd

no the 512 SSD is just that, its not in Raid 0. they did offer a raid with the smaller drives, this was the "upgrade" selection. I thought i saw in another thread someone (maybe you?) bought 32 gigs of ram at like 2100mhz? My CPU is 4930XM so it is overclockable. Is overclocking the i7 4930XM anyhting like how i overclocked my i7 990 extreme edition? where the ram is going to go up or down depending on what you are running your CPU at. Even though its rated at 1600?

MattyB

Yes the RAM speeds will change a bit depending on the overclock you have. I'm not 100% sure on notebook overclocking but I think you'll need an unlocked BIOS to be able to get the top speeds out of the RAM though. Overclocking will bring it up marginally though. Mr Fox will know better. He's getting 2133 out of his memory in his M18x. I'll probably need to ask him some questions soon too.