Alienware X51 for Gaming?

momokie

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 Processor (3.4GHz, 8MB Cache, with Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)
Windows® 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit (English)
8GB Dual Channel 1600 MHz DDR3
1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing
1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660
Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BR-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
No Monitor
1-Year Premier Service with 1-Year Oncall
buy.gif

How would that be for games like Battlefield 3 and other AAA titles?

Saintnowhere

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 Processor (3.4GHz, 8MB Cache, with Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)
Windows® 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit (English)
8GB Dual Channel 1600 MHz DDR3
1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing
1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660
Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BR-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
No Monitor
1-Year Premier Service with 1-Year Oncall
buy.gif

How would that be for games like Battlefield 3 and other AAA titles?

I have almost this exact system myself. Bought it in February last year. The difference is I have 16GB of memory. Most games like Diablo 3, Crysis 3, Starcraft 2, etc I can run on high settings....not ultra mind you. For some reason, BF3 requires some settings to be on medium and some on high to keep a decent frame rate. Not sure if it was ever optimized or what, but there is a lot going on in the BF games. If you plan on gaming long term I would save up a bit more and get an Aurora so you can get a top end card. Or, you could take a risk that the new Nividia 800 series cards will be small, powerful, yet remain cool enough to run in an X51.

I personally am looking to get an Aurora ALX in February so I can run the best possible card and highest settings.

mf9

Personally I think you're better off going for the i5 and replacing the graphic card with one that has at least 3GB of memory as some games recently are starting to use a lot more memory to cater for the textures on Ultra settings, e.g. Titanfall and Watch dogs. I myself have a GTX 760 4GB.