Alienware X51 Pics and First Impressions

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Staff member
I took a few quick pics before my camera died...damn Sony proprietary batteries. :(

My first impressions...

• Packaging was just ok. They did have the sides and front covered with clear film. I would of liked to have seen the entire system covered in a fabric sleeve like the laptops.
  • Starts up like a jet engine, but quickly quiets down. I could not hear it running over my 600T Desktop which is quiet to begin with.
  • Definitively a magnet for smudges from your hands natural oils.
  • Needs an SSD for sure. If an SSD was installed, the system would of had a 7.5 WEI score which is not bad at all! My 600T desktop has a 7.8 WEI score.

I was going to use the Dell 19" 4:3 monitor that I currently use as a secondary display with my Dell U3011 30", but I think I'm going to get a 20" or 24" Dell Ultra-sharp monitor for it instead. ;)

Eirreann

Wow, that thing is tiny! But it has an epic design! Although I did expect for it to come in a cloth protection bag, like the laptops... I'm kind of surprised that it didn't.
So how does it run?

durbin209

Wow, that thing is tiny! But it has an epic design! Although I did expect for it to come in a cloth protection bag, like the laptops... I'm kind of surprised that it didn't.
So how does it run?
Yea, I thought it'd come in cloth too, what was the protection?

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Staff member
So how does it run?
I haven't tested it with anything yet. I had it hooked up temporarily. But I am definitely putting a SSD in it and will use the drive it came with as a storage drive. You can fit two 2.5" drives under the CD-Rom drive.

Yea, I thought it'd come in cloth too, what was the protection?
Some end caps and 3M like film only on the sides and front. The top, bottom, and rear were all unprotected. And since this system can be upright or on it's side, you would think they would protect all sides. Luckily no damage.

Dantheman221

Thats cheap packaging right there! ^^ I think AW laptops come more protected :D I remember unpacking the first time :D Black box with designs on it, inside the black box, was another box ;D And then, a black sleeve with a black laptop inside of it! :D

It actually DOES look like a black xbox from aw in the second pic in tommy's post #2

Eirreann

That does look a bit cheap... almost disappointing, considering that it came from Alienware...

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Staff member
For the record, it was not doubled boxed like the laptops. Single black box only.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Staff member
I will probably pick up a 128GB Crucial M4 SATA III SSD for the OS drive. That should speed things up a bit. ;)

Eirreann

For the record, it was not doubled boxed like the laptops. Single black box only.
Huh... I guess Alienware isn't taking the x51 as seriously as it's other rigs... maybe as a penalty for it's cheaper price?

Sfynxx

Mine is coming sometime this week...after three delays! :mad:
Will be well worth the wait though. My first AW computer! Cannot wait to get into it :D

VagrantXeth

The X51 is also my first Alienware, and since I got it in I am quite impressed. Did not spring for the BluRay drive or the TactX peripherals, but I am thinking of ordering the keyboard pretty soon. I had purchased a Razer Tron mouse on Woot! when they had a sale (not bad for a themed mouse) now I just need the keyboard to bring the whole thing together (I have the i7 model).IMAG0393.jpg

Eirreann

The X51 is also my first Alienware, and since I got it in I am quite impressed. Did not spring for the BluRay drive or the TactX peripherals, but I am thinking of ordering the keyboard pretty soon. I had purchased a Razer Tron mouse on Woot! when they had a sale (not bad for a themed mouse) now I just need the keyboard to bring the whole thing together (I have the i7 model).View attachment 207
That looks really cool, man! The Tron mouse kind of suits, haha!

Toady

Well it looks like my one is going to be delayed. After waiting for 20 days I have been told today that the DVD Drive is now out of stock. My X51 should have been delivered on Wednesday, I'm so mad with Dell. They are now saying the drive will be in stock again on 19th March.:mad:

Not Happy

VagrantXeth

When they delayed my order, they said it was an issue with the PSU. Someone else had theirs delayed because they were out of the wallpaper?!?!?!?! Really!?!?!? I can understand the PSU but the wallpaper, now that is just grasping for straws!