Alienware X51 R2 Discussion

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Being that the X51 has had its share of growing pains...

1) How soon do you think Dell will release the X51 R2?

2) Name some things you would like to see improved?

3) Name some features you like to see added or made available as options?

sway

Most imp imo would be better cooling for the gpu. There's really nothing else wrong or needing improvements (not including updated hardware), it's a great machine and can't beat the price. Maybe one more spot for an extra hdd/ssd.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Last edited:

BlackJair

Improving (as sway said) the GPU fan and the noise. Those are the most relative issues of X51 but i think the R1 will stand in the market for at least 1 more year.

KillerBee

I would like to see a small maintenace free liquid cooled CPU loop. That would make is near silent. Also a 256GB SSD option. :)

RoBi1475

Liquid cooled GPU is really the only thing I could think of in the way of improving the X51.

BlackJair

Is Liquid cooling that good? a friend of mine had it but the maintenance of it was very tedious.

sway

Liquid cooled would shoot the price up and eliminate what there going for.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Is Liquid cooling that good? a friend of mine had it but the maintenance of it was very tedious.
At the minimum is equals air cooling with out the loud fan noise, massive sized fan and heat sinks, and extra weight on the MB, but its often better than air cooling. You would want a closed/sealed maintenance free loop, like some of the ones Corsair offers.

I've done some cool open loop liquid cooling setups in the past and if it is done right, maintenance is minimal. You can see one of them here:
http://www.alienowners.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=510

Liquid cooled would shoot the price up and eliminate what there going for.

I think a $100-$150 option is reasonable. :) It's not a bad suggestion IMO.

sway

At the minimum is equals air cooling with out the loud fan noise, massive sized fan and heat sinks, and extra weight on the MB, but its often better than air cooling. You would want a closed/sealed maintenance free loop, like some of the ones Corsair offers.

I've done some cool open loop liquid cooling setups in the past and if it is done right, maintenance is minimal. You can see one of them here:
http://www.alienowners.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=510

I think a $100-$150 option is reasonable. :) It's not a bad suggestion IMO.
No def not a bad suggestion, I guess if they offered it as an option it wouldn't be bad at all. I like options, and if they offered a liquid cooled option, then I would've added it hands down...I was thinking like dell when I was thinking about the cost.

Telekine5i5

1) Don't know but guess 2013 lol

2) Needs a H100 on the either Right Side or Left side of the case & Improved Case ventilation

3) A. Remove Optical Drive ..make it Slim USB drive instead ..Reason = More room for SSDs,HDDs,Motherboard,Extra PSU for GPU ...etc

B. Make H100 available either left or right side of the case

C. 600+ PSU or Dual 300 PSUs (1 for GPU & 1 for Tower/Components)

D. Enough Room to put 4 SSDs

E. Real Hardware RAID 0 Option out of the BOX

Replay and ADD more to the list going from F.>

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
A crazy idea just popped into my head..what if they made the X51 case just a few inches taller, say 2" and maybe 1"-2" wider and added the ALX style active cooling!?!? :cool:

MattyB

Now that would look awesome! Maybe they could squeeze it some extra ALX style lighting zones too.....

They could have both chassis opions like the Aurora to keep costs down for those who didn't want it.

GoHack

R2 System:
- OCing, allowing for an unlocked Intel Core i7-3770K to be used instead of the i7-3770
- Better CPU Heatsink/Fan, for the OCing
- Tweakable BIOS
- Get rid of that BIG 3.5" HD and replace it w/a more energy efficient 2.5" laptop HD, allowing for either a 2nd HD, or an SSD to be installed. It'll also allow the saved energy to go torwards a better Video Card. ;)
- RAID 0, which will require a new Chipset, for RAIDing either four (4) Laptop HD's, or four (4) SSDs, w/the present Case Design.
- A better WiFi card. The present one sucks. I replaced mine w/a Killer Wireless-N 1102 Network Adapter , which works much better.
- Bigger power supply, for a better Video Card

Tweaks for the Present System:
- OCing, allowing for an unlocked Intel Core i7-3770K to be used instead of the i7-3770
- Tweakable BIOS
- Sadly, the present Intel Chipset, the H61 Express Chipset, won't support RAID 0. :(
- Get rid of that BIG 3.5" HD and replace it w/a more energy efficient 2.5" laptop HD, allowing for either a 2nd HD, or an SSD to be installed. It'll also allow the saved energy to go torwards a better Video Card. ;)
- SSD Mounting Hardware Kit, offered for present owners of the X51, to make it easier to install a SSD. Dell just started offering an SSD in the X51, which surely needs a special mounting kit.
- Replace the present WiFi card w/a better one.
- Bigger power supply, for a better Video Card

I haven't had any issues w/noise on my X51, so I so far have no complaints about the present Heatsink/Fan.

Last edited: