Alienware x51 R2 - Gtx 970 - Crashed

Blue7011

Apr 7, 2015
Hello,
I am having a Alienware x51 R2..which had a gtx 745 card,
I upgraded it to Gtx 970 (Here is the specific model : http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-2972-KR)
Everything was working fine after installation..i also installed the latest drivers..
I wanted to try out the graphics in game..i tried Far cry 3 first..the computer crashed..Got shut down..
I tried out for various other games..the result was same for everything..
Need help... I think the problems in the PSU?? if so how can i change it?

gemini

Apr 7, 2015
how long have you have the card in..theres a couple of basic issue when upgrading to 970 or 980 on x51.
1. x51 r1 need to have r2 motherboard
2. if you have the 240 psu need to be on 330 PSU
3. When upgrading X51 R2 to a GTX 970 or 980 it should be a reference card to have minimal issue. You can use an overclock card if you know how to tame the 970 or 980. From what I have red and watch using an overclock 970/980 will encounter more issues compare to using a reference card. From my own experience when I upgrade to 970 reference card I did not encounter any major problem all my games play as it supposed to be. I know theres some vram gate with 970 on my own opinion its still a very capable card. 980 is a bit expensive for me..Maybe if the price go down I ll buy the 980 but for the mean time I am happy with my PNY GTX 970..

Reactions: Blue7011

Blue7011

Apr 7, 2015
how long have you have the card in..theres a couple of basic issue when upgrading to 970 or 980 on x51.
1. x51 r1 need to have r2 motherboard
2. if you have the 240 psu need to be on 330 PSU
3. When upgrading X51 R2 to a GTX 970 or 980 it should be a reference card to have minimal issue. You can use an overclock card if you know how to tame the 970 or 980. From what I have red and watch using an overclock 970/980 will encounter more issues compare to using a reference card. From my own experience when I upgrade to 970 reference card I did not encounter any major problem all my games play as it supposed to be. I know theres some vram gate with 970 on my own opinion its still a very capable card. 980 is a bit expensive for me..Maybe if the price go down I ll buy the 980 but for the mean time I am happy with my PNY GTX 970..
I have the card in like for 2 days now,
I have R2 alienware..that means i have a R2 powerboard only right???
I am new to this fourm and only found this by coincedence..if i had known there was a forum like this..i would have carefully selected a reference card..but am having a EVGA Acx 2.0 non-OC card and it drains more power??
What should i do?? Please help ..and another question..the power consumption of the current card is high..so will it affect my pc??

gemini

Apr 7, 2015
I am new to this fourm and only found this by coincedence..if i had known there was a forum like this..i would have carefully selected a reference card..but am having a EVGA Acx 2.0 non-OC card and it drains more power??
What should i do?? Please help ..and another question..the power consumption of the current card is high..so will it affect my pc??
I think your card is an over clock if I am not mistaken. You have the R2 so your PSU should be 330 just double check. If you have an over clock gtx download MSI afterburner to lower your clock speed or find the sweet spot.

gemini

Apr 7, 2015
I check on your card its a fan type its creating too much heat inside the system the air blows inside of x51. Our rig is so compact that people were saying to get a blower type card for x51. This way air goes thru the fan attach near the card and out. Your card the air blows down inside . That's why your temp is high and system crash. Exchange your card to a blower type reference. Check PNY or PALIT. According to dell PNY 970/980 are compatible

Blue7011

Apr 7, 2015
I check on your card its a fan type its creating too much heat inside the system the air blows inside of x51. Our rig is so compact that people were saying to get a blower type card for x51. This way air goes thru the fan attach near the card and out. Your card the air blows down inside . That's why your temp is high and system crash. Exchange your card to a blower type reference. Check PNY or PALIT. According to dell PNY 970/980 are compatible
I can't change it..as u can see I am from india and i ordered the card in Amazon.com(US) it almost took half a month for it to deliver and i will try to change it as a last resort...is there any other way?

gemini

Apr 7, 2015
I can't change it..as u can see I am from india and i ordered the card in Amazon.com(US) it almost took half a month for it to deliver and i will try to change it as a last resort...is there any other way?
Unfortunately your only option is to put back the origanal card that came with your system if you want to play some games. And then return the other card. Or if your savvy enough you can make some modification to cool down your rig. There are only a few success on installing a fan type card on x51 and you need to mod your system. I am base in the US and I am here only on vacation thats why it shows my native flag.(Philippines)When I did my upgrade I did a lot of reading and youtube. I suggest that you watch some youtube video on upgrading your system. Just type x51 r2 gpu upgrade. Goodluck...

Blue7011

Apr 7, 2015
Unfortunately your only option is to put back the origanal card that came with your system if you want to play some games. And then return the other card. Or if your savvy enough you can make some modification to cool down your rig. There are only a few success on installing a fan type card on x51 and you need to mod your system. I am base in the US and I am here only on vacation thats why it shows my native flag.(Philippines)When I did my upgrade I did a lot of reading and youtube. I suggest that you watch some youtube video on upgrading your system. Just type x51 r2 gpu upgrade. Goodluck...
Anyways thank you

ok..the problem is with my Power supply. i only have a 240W adapter..need to get a 330w adapter and evrything wud work fine hopefully

8454821116_4c5349ee4d_b%2025.jpg~original