Alienware X51 R2 Loud Fan

ImAlright55

May 20, 2015
Hi there fellow x51 users, I have come here to this forum today to explain this certain situation my current graphics card is in and I have no idea if something is wrong or not. Basically, I just recently got the 970 for my x51 r2 (EVGA 4 gb vram GDDR5 SSC) which has 2 fans and it literally sounds like a jet engine. I have no idea if I put it in wrong or not but nothing seems to be wrong. I have been playing The Witcher 3 at 60 fps with everything set to Ultra with no stuttering or crashing and my temps are staying below 70 C. When i start up a game the fans get really loud and after I leave the game they remain to be loud even if I try to restart the computer with shutting down completely is the only way to stop them from spinning. I also cannot control the fan speed no matter what program I use. Is there something wrong with my gpu or am I just being paranoid?

gemini

Apr 7, 2015
This is some of the issues you will encounter when using a super clock GPU on x51..noise and heat..Are you using a fan or blower type GPU?. Try using MSI and underclock your card see what will happen. Just like Venticore were using the same card with no problem you just plug and play..

ImAlright55

May 20, 2015
I'm using a fan GPU, I'm assuming that's the problem then since the x51 is so small however I don't seem to have any problems with the cards performance, it's just really noisy but the weird part is even when idling the fan still blows 100% even though it doesn't need to. Also I tried underclocking and the fan speed did not change what's so ever, it is still blasting 100% with nothing running in the background besides applications that take little power.

gemini

Apr 7, 2015
I'm using a fan GPU, I'm assuming that's the problem then since the x51 is so small however I don't seem to have any problems with the cards performance, it's just really noisy but the weird part is even when idling the fan still blows 100% even though it doesn't need to. Also I tried underclocking and the fan speed did not change what's so ever, it is still blasting 100% with nothing running in the background besides applications that take little power.
Try underclocking the card..

ImAlright55

May 20, 2015
I fixed the problem! I opened up my case again and took the graphics card out then i took out the connectors and put them back in, put everything back and moved the wires off to the side a little so they won't hit the fan and I can control the fan speed now and it sounds alot better!