Alienware X51 R3 Buy or not?

sk.empyre

Hello everyone. I have a question..I have seen it done over and over with complete success..but I just want to get more in depth information about this before I go buy one.

Right, so I plan to buy the Alienware X51 R3 SFF Desktop PC with these specs.

Intel® Core™ i5-6600K (6MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.3GHz) WATER COOLED
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960 with 2GB GDDR5 (Replacing with my Reference 10.5" GTX 970)
16GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz
256GB PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB (64MB Cache) 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s
1 Year Premium Support

Okay with those specs I understand that the Alienware X51 comes with a 330W Power brick which is more than enough for my GTX 970 and everything else to run, I am also going with this version because I haven't used a DVD slot/tray in about a year with my current set-up. Now my main question is, with removing the small 14mm front intake fan to make my 970 fit...will I have ANY overheating or crashing issues? I don't want to drop $1,600 USD for something I plan to upgrade partially and have it not work. My GTX 970 will be working at stock speeds and clocks, however if temperature is a problem I can boost the fan speeds with a custom MSI AB Profile.
I'm also looking for a Small Form Factor because I'm tired of my heavy mid-tower.

Games I mainly play as of right now: World of Warcraft (My 750Ti could play this, not too worried), Runescape (Still not worried) Crysis 3 (Worried about temps while playing this).

So would this be a good move?

I appreciate your feedback and tips on this.

Thanks, sk.Empyre

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
If it was me, I'd be hesitant to remove a fan. That case is engineered with the minimum specs for safe cooling. Have you considered the amp?

sk.empyre

I have but, I'm not going to spend an extra $300+ for a graphics card I already have in my PC just to have it in a box that plugs in. I've seen benchmarks and reviews on reference gtx 970's being inside an X51 and the temperatures with the fan removed are around 73c - 79c. The power is more than enough. I have even seen some X51 systems with a GTX 980 inside of them and those guys don't experience any issues.

MattyB

I'd be a bit worried too about the temps. I've had a few X51's over the years and they aren't build for maximum cooling. As long as you aren't modding the case then you can always try it and go back to the reference card if you have to. They are great little machines so you won't be disappointed.

sk.empyre

I'd be a bit worried too about the temps. I've had a few X51's over the years and they aren't build for maximum cooling. As long as you aren't modding the case then you can always try it and go back to the reference card if you have to. They are great little machines so you won't be disappointed.
Yeah. I'm sure I'll be fine with my 970 I mean I know a standard 9.5" 970 can fit but mine is the reference version so I'll have to take out the small intake fan. I've watched youtube videos with people that have done this with the 970 reference and recommend a custom fan speed profile. I'm guessing at least 40% - 60% of a spin up on the blower.

sk.empyre

Mr. Fox gave me some advice and said I'd be fine with the GTX 970 inside of the X51 and if I wanted more power just to keep things safe, I should get another 330W PSU.