Alienware x51 R3 Desktop staying on problem

Cracken

So I have had this machine for a few years and suddenly it turned off when I was using it and it keeps turning on for random amounts of time and then completely shuts off and repeats. Sometimes it gets to the desktop for a while and other times it turns off and on within a few seconds. I have tried removing and switching both ram slots, removing the GPU and cleaning everything. Also disabled Automatic shutdown when something goes wrong. When it is on long enough to even get to the bios, the CPU and memory temps are only around 30C, I have switched out the hard drive as well as reset the CMOS jumper. The external PSU brick has a constant green light on it so im not sure if it is the PSU or not. Can anyone help? Warranty is expired.

MattyB

Staff member
I have never heard of this issue before. Sounds bizarre. I'm wondering if it has something to do with a Windows update which hasn't worked properly. If you can, try to restore to a previous date when it was working fine. Other than that it is probably hardware. Most likely the mobo or possibly the PSU.

Cracken

I cannot restore it anywhere because it wont make it that far without turning off, I am not sure how to test the PSU, suggestions?