And Then My M14x Froze :(

dnvr.dsz

huh! an unbelievable thing happened today.... i was copying some newly downloaded songs to my cellphone and then i started browsing the internet and suddenly the laptop stopped to respond (except for the mouse pointer "Strange") i had to force shutdown :( so is this only me ?....running on 8GB ram is not enough? wtf?

Maelstrom

I don't have a clue. But if this is the only time that this has happened to you then it probably isn't something to worry about.

EMT911inWI

I wouldn't sweat it. I've been seeing A LOT of random crashes with the latest updates pushed out by MS for Windows 7. Google a program called "whocrashed", install it and copy the results here so I can take a peek at them. You may have also encountered a video error, I know the latest release for NVidia is also a little buggy. I've had numerous BSOD's over the past few weeks on my home PC. (Non Alienware)

dnvr.dsz

ok i got the WhoCrashed Thingy but it says "No valid crash dumps have been found in the directory specified" so should i change the directory?? or....?

Maelstrom

You could change the dir for the whole C: drive. It will take longer but it will find any crashdump files.

BlackJair

If the screen frozes and the mouse doesn't, probably the HDD is dying...

MattyB

That was happening to me last week. Exactly the same thing happening. So the mouse could highlight programs without being able to open then? Try a system restore to a date a few days ago and dont install any programs you may have downloaded since then. It worked for me when I had the same symptoms. It completely fucked me up until I tried this.

MattyB

Shotdown the computer. Then hold the FN botton and press the power button. This should take you to a bootup troubleshooting screen. release the Fn key. You should go through the bootup troubleshooting system. This will take a few hours to go through your HDD system to see if there's a problem with your HDD.

dnvr.dsz

Shotdown the computer. Then hold the FN botton and press the power button. This should take you to a bootup troubleshooting screen. release the Fn key. You should go through the bootup troubleshooting system. This will take a few hours to go through your HDD system to see if there's a problem with your HDD.
ok i'll try that once i make a back up and one more thing do i have to shoot my laptop? xD you made my day man :D

xGeorgexBP

I just got my Alienware m14x r2 and it crashed after I finished installing all my games (BF3 & Steam game). It might of been the temperature. I just got the Cooler Master X3 and it hasn't happen yet, so think I'll pin point it on that. I'll give 'whocrashed' a try too...

Maelstrom

I just got my Alienware m14x r2 and it crashed after I finished installing all my games (BF3 & Steam game). It might of been the temperature. I just got the Cooler Master X3 and it hasn't happen yet, so think I'll pin point it on that. I'll give 'whocrashed' a try too...
You probably want to get something to monitor your temps. I've got temp monitors on my other monitor for all the cores and the GPU (as well as some other things) that way you can make sure you don't overheat.

xGeorgexBP

You probably want to get something to monitor your temps. I've got temp monitors on my other monitor for all the cores and the GPU (as well as some other things) that way you can make sure you don't overheat.
I did start keeping on eye on it after it happen. I downloaded the windows 7 gadgets 'All CPU Meter' and 'GPU Meter.' They're awesome and it showed me the difference when playing with and without the X3.

If the screen frozes and the mouse doesn't, probably the HDD is dying...
ARE YOU SERIOUS? well that kinda makes sense looking at what I encountered before.
Thank the gods I didn't face any such problems so far but the same thing is happening in my home desktop which my father and sister use. Dam its happening like almost everyday that means it is pretty much messed up, have to backup all their data then. Thanks for the info!

infamous

Its the windows 7 updates. Even on my HP dv7 I'll update n NY fingerprint reader won't work, or my HDMI will stop working until I uninstall the updates.