Another x51 gpu upgrade!!!

sway

So I bought a sapphire 7850 oc edition last thurs, it should be here mon or tues. I'll report back when I have it installed.

~ Sent from my GNexus on Aokp ~

VagrantXeth

I have seriously been considering this, I just don't know if I should wait till the price comes down a little or if I should commit. Money won't be the issue, but I am also looking at upgrading the ram and maybe getting a few accessories along with it.

sway

After this I will be throwing in an i7(I've got the i5) , and im ordering a ssd this week. Since ram is so cheap, in a few months I'll just go with 16gb.

Jenova

Definitely let me know how this goes. Interested in knowing all my options incase it's time to upgrade. I got the third model up and it seems to be plenty for what I do but stuff does get more demanding quickly.

VagrantXeth

I got the top model (sans the BluRay Drive), but as any PC user/gamer worth his salt will tell you, there is always room for improvement!

sway

I got the top model (sans the BluRay Drive), but as any PC user/gamer worth his salt will tell you, there is always room for improvement!
Yeah I have the i5 model with the gtx 555 and quickly learned I wanted more gpu power. I knew I was gonna do the i7 eventually. I can play bf3 with the gtx555 on ultra when I overclock the gpu... barely getting 30 fps, and that's with the fan on 65%, gets around 75c . I've always been just a nvidia fan, but heard extremely good things about these cards with running cool etc... so im ready.

Last edited:

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Staff member
This needs to be a How To for the article section!... Keep us posted. Thanks!

sway

I got my gpu in yesterday, took about 10 min to swap them out....very easy btw. I didn't have too much time to mess with it, but i ran bf3 for a min on ultra, 4xaa and fps stayed around 44 to 48 while online in a 64 player game. I can say much better than with the gtx 555 where i could barely stay at 30 while oc. I ran the benchmark in Batman arkham city (thank you tommy) and with everthing on max i was average 36 fps, im going to test again in a bit though. Im going to hit up some Diablo 3 later also, shouldnt be a problem at all but the info will be there. All in all im very happy so far with the swap, it runs way cooler than the gtx 555 until your in bf3 that is. You can definitely hear those fans kick on while under heavy load, not crazy loud but the noise is there. Ill play more today since im off and give more feedback.

sapphire 7850.jpg

Jenova

Good review of it. Will definitely keep this in mind. How does it fit in there? Snug? How much power does it pull? It won't mess anything up if you have the 330w psu?

sway

Good review of it. Will definitely keep this in mind. How does it fit in there? Snug? How much power does it pull? It won't mess anything up if you have the 330w psu?
It fits really well, I think the tray the gpu fits on is 11" and the gpu itself is 10.2" in length. It actually needs less power than the gtx 555.

xiacexi

Have you tried disabling MSAA and Post AA, and then running it with SMAA Inject instead of 4xMSAA? Any framerate improvement? I've heard SMAA actually looks even better than 4xMSAA and the performance hit is less. I don't get my alienware in until Wednesday, but I already got this card :D

sway

Ill try that, after using using the card for almost a week ive noticed it gets around the same temp as the gtx 555 when gaming really hard. The only thing is once the two fans come on it cools it down extremly quick. I thought it would run a little cooler but in this tiny package and this hardware i guess theres no way. Other than that the card is perfect for the x51, my ssd is on its way and im fixing to order an i7... dont know if im going with the sandy or ivy bridge yet.