Anyone upgrade the X51 yet?

VagrantXeth

So I have been giving a lot of thought to adding some upgrades to my X51. Has anyone met with upgrading success (i.e. RAM GPU)? If so I would like to know to see what I can expect and what I have to look forward to. I was thinking about the RAM first, even though I have the 8GB that came with my model, I want to start adding more to improve upon an already awesome system. The GPU issue is another thing that I would like to maximize with consideration to the stock PSU (330w is what I believe my model came with, the i7 model).

VagrantXeth

Heard some talk about putting a Radeon in it on these forums, good read and makes me want to give it a try, but how much of a performance upgrade will this give me?

jpierson86

I plan on installing an SSD along with the stock hard drive, that should improve disk read/write performance by a lot.

As for upgrading the GPU, I know many others have done it with come success, but I think it's best to wait until more people have done it, and the possibility that we could see a higher wattage PSU in the future.

sway

I plan on installing an SSD along with the stock hard drive, that should improve disk read/write performance by a lot.

As for upgrading the GPU, I know many others have done it with come success, but I think it's best to wait until more people have done it, and the possibility that we could see a higher wattage PSU in the future.
I don't think you can throw an ssd along with the stock hdd, bc you need two 2.5" drives to fit. The stock hdd is 3.5" so one 2.5" and 3.5" together won't fit. So you need to get a laptop hdd along with an ssd to have a storage drive.

jpierson86

daxmagex

It's possible to throw in 2 (8gb x2) RAM sticks inside as long as it's DDR3 1333. Make sure the RAM sticks you are adding do not have extremely tall heat sinks since the current naked ram sticks have half a cm of breathing space before it interferes with the DVD drive cables.

I have a guide on adding (not replacing the HDD) a SSD to the X51.