Area-51® X58

drmark

I got this just before Dell got rid of the AW alien head case.

[1] Area-51® X58

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-975 Extreme 3.33 GHz 8MB Cache
Alienware P2 Chassis: Alienware® P2 Chassis with AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling - Space Black
AlienFX®: Alienware® AlienFX® System Lighting - Plasma Purple
Alienware P2 Chassis Upgrades: Alienware® Approved CPU Liquid Cooling + Acoustic Dampening
Power Supply: Alienware® 1000 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Graphics Processor: Single 1,792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295
Video Optimizer: AlienAdrenaline v1.0: Video Performance Optimizer - More Info
Memory: 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 3 x 2048MB
Motherboard: Alienware® Approved Intel® X-58 Motherboard- Socket 1366 Core i7 Ready, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Memory
Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1 plus Free Windows 7 Upgrade Option
System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 256GB Solid State Drive
Optical Drives : Single Drive Configuration - 20X Dual Layer Burner (DVD±RW) w/ LightScribe
Enthusiast Essentials: Dual High Performance Gigabit Ethernet Ports
Sound Card: High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio
Keyboard: Standard Keyboard - Standard Keyboard
Mouse: Standard Mouse - Standard Optical 3-Button Mouse with Scroll Wheel
Warranty: 3-Year AlienCare Onsite Service and 24/7 Toll-Free Phone Support
AlienRespawn: AlienRespawn v2.0 Recovery DVD – Windows Vista® Edition
Additional Games: World of Warcraft Preinstall Edition
Alienware Extras: Alienware® Mesh Cap
Alienware Extras: Alienware® Desktop Binder
Alienware Extras: Owner Identification Card
Alienware Extras: Internal Wire Management
Window Style: Default Window Style
Mouse Pointers: Standard Mouse Pointers
Wallpaper: Alienhead Glow
Wallpaper: Alien Cyborg
Wallpaper: Predator 2
Power Plan: High Performance
Automatic Updates: Automatic Updates On
Sidebar Gadgets: Currency Converter
Sidebar Gadgets: Weather Forecast (default location)
RSS Feeds: Alienware News:
Get the latest Alienware news delivered directly to your desktop!
RSS Feeds: Engadget:
Get the latest technology news.
Time Zones: (GMT - 6.00) Central Time (US & Canada)

[1] Special Offer; Free Shipping
[1] Includes a $300 Savings; -- Area-51 X58 Wartime Edition Limited Time Offer

SubTotal: $4,278.00
Shipping: $111.63
Discount: $400.00
Tax: $284.26
Order Total: $4,273.89

drmark

[SUP][/SUP]Has anyone tried to replace their motherboard yet? If so, did your lights work? My warrenty expires this Aug. Was thinking of putting in a new MB after that.

This is the wartime edition Aug 09.

LW_Black4

I have upgraded the motherboard in my Alien P2 case. I can no longer control the lights with the AlienFX software, even though I've found a utility to turn them on at random (AlienFX Burn-In), so I know they work.

I was told that the controller board needed to be hooked into the USB 1 port, and I still have not been able to figure that out yet.

I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me with it.

Attachments

Last edited:

LW_Black4

Yours is a lot of system which is a little light on graphics card for the latest games. The processor and motherboard are more than adequate so if you're a gamer, I would just upgrade the card and you'll be good to go.

A Radeon HD 7970 or a GTX 580 would compliment it nicely.

buchi

I just picked up one of these for a measly $125. I have all the original discs but after I wiped It and did a factory reinstall I don't see anything that resembles the alienFX so that I can tweak the colors etc. I tried looking for help from Dell but just like all the other info I've looked up they weren't much help. I'd also like to know what anyone's opinion on a decent video/graphics card that's available today. Currently running Vista premium (lame) with 12 gigs of ram and an older Nvidia 1gb graphics card. This is my first alienware tower.

Alienwulf

As stated the i7 975 is still a top tier cpu and still sells for 100's on ebay. So upgrading to a better GPU would keep you up to date for a year or so. Also your PSU is fine for any single video card you can afford. The FX card you have located on the bottom is an Active card that requires software to run. Unless you have an old Alienware account the odds of finding it are slim. You can replace the card with a Passive one sold on ebay it has 2 parts the mother FX board and a daughter board get both they are cheap. They have switch's you set the color you want works pretty good. Here is all you need to set the old system up. http://niche.originpc.com/showthread.php?t=3493