Area-51 ALX Replacement Case or Case Parts Needed

Yeah, a blast from the past, I know!

I recently got an Alienware Area-51 ALX in beautiful condition - except for parts of the case. I'm trying to restore this beast to its original glory! If you look at the photo, you can see the right door (left from the photo's perspective) which is either bent, or something inside the case won't let the door seat fully. I believe this is causing some overheating because the air flow is wrong.
Should I replace the door, or is the door -mount- inside the case is messed up? (I'm voting for bent door.)

Sadly, the very first top vent is missing its pretty black cover. I want to replace that as well.

If there are any Area-51 ALX owners out there, I'd like to discuss repair/maintenance tips. For example, the top vents squeak every time they open or close. How does one fix the squeak (for example)?

I hope there are still a few ALX owners out there. Thanks for listening!

Attachments

• 1588000161601.png
    1588000161601.png
    920.7 KB · Views: 18

Cass-Olé

Jan 9, 2013
Virginia
You have an 'Area-51', color Lunar Shadow, the ALX version is matte satin black w/motorized front panel

Door Left U561R $30 | Door Right U563R (google, now hard to find) | Activent Top P701R $37.50

Throw $30 at new mthrbrd door, see if it helps. If new door fits/shuts ok, u can leave new door on, or, transfer the new forward hinge (&/or rear brace) onto old door & keep new door in box as pristine spare …

If you had the top vent fin u could reattach it, otherwise u have to buy a whole new top since no one sells just fins (nor do I see a used top for sale to grab donor parts off of for cheap)

For sqweaky fins, typically I might remove both door panels, & find the two smoked acrylic top trim pieces up there. Back the screws out, pull trims off, replace trims, then one-by-one tighten screws down. Since the trims can't go anywhere with the screws in, u don't have to over tighten the screws, just get them semi-tight. See if that helps the sqweal. If not, yours may be dirty &/or could use some lithium grease; if you have the smoked trims off & if u use CmndCntr to open close vents u might be able to locate the source of the sqweal & get it lubed up ... but since you're in the market for a new P701R, it might arrive & be qwiet out-of-box, it should be … … …

ALX Files: Alien Autopsy | Area-51 R1 Part # List for a Full Restoration

Last edited:
You have an 'Area-51', color Lunar Shadow, the ALX version is matte satin black w/motorized front panel

Door Left U561R $30 | Door Right U563R (google, now hard to find) | Activent Top P701R $37.50

Throw $30 at new mthrbrd door, see if it helps. If new door fits/shuts ok, u can leave new door on, or, transfer the new forward hinge (&/or rear brace) onto old door & keep new door in box as pristine spare …

If you had the top vent fin u could reattach it, otherwise u have to buy a whole new top since no one sells just fins (nor do I see a used top for sale to grab donor parts off of for cheap)

For sqweaky fins, typically I might remove both door panels, & find the two smoked acrylic top trim pieces up there. Back the screws out, pull trims off, replace trims, then one-by-one tighten screws down. Since the trims can't go anywhere with the screws in, u don't have to over tighten the screws, just get them semi-tight. See if that helps the sqweal. If not, yours may be dirty &/or could use some lithium grease; if you have the smoked trims off & if u use CmndCntr to open close vents u might be able to locate the source of the sqweal & get it lubed up ... but since you're in the market for a new P701R, it might arrive & be qwiet out-of-box, it should be … … …

ALX Files: Alien Autopsy | Area-51 R1 Part # List for a Full Restoration

Big question. Is the left side door the motherboard door or the drive cage door? The left/right designations make me a little dizzy because it all depends on whether you're looking at it from the computer's perspective or your own perspective. So I don't really know which is which.

Please don't make me take out a loan to buy a clue xD

-- bw

I've ordered parts US61R , P701R, and the bluetooth module. I've gotten order received/processed notices for all but the US61R. RefreshedElectronics is still in business and their website says they are selling the U561R part. When I phoned them to verify, their salesperson said it wasn't in their inventory - even though the website says "10 in stock." It did seem the salesperson didn't have a grip on his job, so everything could be okay. Or not. This means uncertainty and confusion, so I have no idea what will happen next with it.

The other items will be here soon, and after that it's all about cleaning and detailing the system.

"I'm so excited, I feel just like a little girl!" -- Wade Wilson/Deadpool

Last edited:
Cass, thanks for all your hard work over the years. Following instructions, I was able to bend the hinges on the left side door to where it looks and behaves at least 95% normal. I don't know if I'll ever see the replacement door. I placed an order with Refreshed Electronics; their website showed 20 in stock. However, nothing has happened. I called to follow up on the order and was told I'd get a call back, but I still haven't heard from them. Good thing I was able to do a manual override on the door.

UPDATE: Refreshed Electronics does not carry any Alienware R1 doors. Their website stating they have 20 in stock was in error (as I suspected). They had 1 and they sold it recently, so - that's that. On the bright side, the door is acceptable and I have a new motorized vent system I'll install today. After that it's cleaning and detailing.

That's everyone! I'm out!

*** END OF THREAD ***