test

Area 51 Case

HMMROFTHEGDS

Ok, so I've been wanting to transfer my home built rig over to an Alienware case. I found an Area 51 case for a really good price and was wondering if there's anything I need to be aware of with one of these cases before I pull the trigger on it. Any limitations besides that you would normally encounter? Thanks in advance.

MattyB

The AlienFX is usually controlled by the smaller daughterboard (well it is in the Aurora apparently) so make sure that it still has this in it if you want to be able to change the colours.
They are an awesome case. Heaps of room. I would go for it if you can get it cheap.

HMMROFTHEGDS

Ok, thanks. Found it in excellent condition for $100.00 plus free shipping, with lighting, psu, and original box it came in. Think I'm gonna pull the trigger.

Last edited:

MattyB

Hell yeah you should! Great deal! Especially with the box and PSU!

MattyB

Very jealous!

That PSU will be plenty. Not sure if you can fit 3 x GPU's in there but if you can (and want to) you may want a new PSU.

mhochman

Oldish thread, but Since I have this case... Will something like an Asus Sabertooth Z77/Z87 mobo fit in this case? It's time for an upgrade and if I can save some money by NOT having to buy a new Case/PS I can dump that cash in to a better video card. I'm really trying to decide if its worth trying to upgrade using my case/ps, or just saying screw it and completely starting over.

Any input you guys have would be greatly appreciated...

killer51

That's a great deal man! Nice! I got a sweet deal on mine too off some guy on Craigslist!

Yea same here just bought the Area-51 with working fins and lights for $250 from craigslist. Down fall was no hard drive so didn't really know if it worked or not and it came with dual gtx 260... Fail!! But hey for $250 I'm one happy camper. Planning in the future to install asus maximus vi formula with gtx 760 or asus poseidon (770).

holeyguy66

Oldish thread, but Since I have this case... Will something like an Asus Sabertooth Z77/Z87 mobo fit in this case? It's time for an upgrade and if I can save some money by NOT having to buy a new Case/PS I can dump that cash in to a better video card. I'm really trying to decide if its worth trying to upgrade using my case/ps, or just saying screw it and completely starting over.

Any input you guys have would be greatly appreciated...

it is very worth it. any full atx mobo will fit. the trick is getting the command center to work. when i swapped mobos in my aurora took me a few hours to find the right driver from dell but i got it. and yes the sabortooth will fit just fine. for the money one spent on any alienware rather aurora or area 51 there is no sence in throwing out such a pretty case. and if you run into issues with the stock psu an ocz 1250 will fit. and be a little cleaner

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Still hasn't found me yet, you should be safe lol
im still working on it ddub. so you better hold your tight at night

mhochman

I ended up buying the Sabertooth, an Asus 760, 16 gigs of ram and a 4771 i7, I was tempted by the Maximus, and hope I don't regret the Sabertooth, just pulled my case apart and it looks like the upgrade should go smoothly (I should have the parts on Wednesday) I'm sticking with the stock PS for now, i think 750w should be Ok, if not I'll upgrade the PS. Thanks for the advice!

jayhernandez7

I agree with @holeyguy66 definitely plotting to take this great deal away from you! Mwuahaha! (in a sinical laughter). Post pictures once you get it! :)