Area-51 Owners - Check In Thread

MattyB

Nice pick-up. Anything free is always good. Free Alienware is awesome!

drmark

I updated the video card to a 570 NVIDIA and a total of 12 gigs ram. Win 7 Ultimate 64. I do wonder is the power supply compatable with most mother boards? Can it be replaced with a standard one when it dies? Basically, is the case dead when the components die? Like what Dell does.
Here is my buy from a few years ago.

[1] Area-51® X58

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-975 Extreme 3.33 GHz 8MB Cache
Alienware P2 Chassis: Alienware® P2 Chassis with AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling - Space Black
AlienFX®: Alienware® AlienFX® System Lighting - Plasma Purple
Alienware P2 Chassis Upgrades: Alienware® Approved CPU Liquid Cooling + Acoustic Dampening
Power Supply: Alienware® 1000 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Graphics Processor: Single 1,792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295
Video Optimizer: AlienAdrenaline v1.0: Video Performance Optimizer - More Info
Memory: 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 3 x 2048MB
Motherboard: Alienware® Approved Intel® X-58 Motherboard- Socket 1366 Core i7 Ready, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Memory
Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1 plus Free Windows 7 Upgrade Option
System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 256GB Solid State Drive
Optical Drives : Single Drive Configuration - 20X Dual Layer Burner (DVD±RW) w/ LightScribe
Enthusiast Essentials: Dual High Performance Gigabit Ethernet Ports
Sound Card: High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio
Keyboard: Standard Keyboard - Standard Keyboard
Mouse: Standard Mouse - Standard Optical 3-Button Mouse with Scroll Wheel
Warranty: 3-Year AlienCare Onsite Service and 24/7 Toll-Free Phone Support
AlienRespawn: AlienRespawn v2.0 Recovery DVD – Windows Vista® Edition
Additional Games: World of Warcraft Preinstall Edition
Alienware Extras: Alienware® Mesh Cap
Alienware Extras: Alienware® Desktop Binder
Alienware Extras: Owner Identification Card
Alienware Extras: Internal Wire Management
Window Style: Default Window Style
Mouse Pointers: Standard Mouse Pointers
Wallpaper: Alienhead Glow
Wallpaper: Alien Cyborg
Wallpaper: Predator 2
Power Plan: High Performance
Automatic Updates: Automatic Updates On
Sidebar Gadgets: Currency Converter
Sidebar Gadgets: Weather Forecast (default location)
RSS Feeds: Alienware News:
Get the latest Alienware news delivered directly to your desktop!
RSS Feeds: Engadget:
Get the latest technology news.
Time Zones: (GMT - 6.00) Central Time (US & Canada)

[1] Special Offer; Free Shipping
[1] Includes a $300 Savings; -- Area-51 X58 Wartime Edition Limited Time Offer

SubTotal: $4,278.00
Shipping: $111.63
Discount: $400.00
Tax: $284.26
Order Total: $4,273.89

LW_Black4

I have an Alienware Area-51 7500 system. It's the Predator 2 (P2) case.

alienware aurora.jpg

I've upgraded it with a Republic of Gamers motherboard and a Sandy Bridge Core i7 processor. And I learned a lot about systems and what makes them fast in the process.

P_500.jpg H40 CPU liquid cooling.jpg

I've doubled my Novabench scores to 1942 and cranked up my 3DMarks score to P5461 with the upgrade. It's fast again - fast enough to run BF3 well.

3DMark11 P5641 score Jacked.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to connect my fancy new motherboard to the AlienFX daughterboard so that I can control the lighting again.

I highly recommend an upgrade though, because Alienware's got great gear and an even better reputation.

mentioning area 51's is a blast from the past but sadly i dont own one (anymore) but the case for it is sick and i know several people who buy the cases for ther customs!

dpinkerton

To revive this old post, I am an Alienware Area 51-ALX owner. Love my system! I got it cheap on Dell's Auction website around christmas :)

VBtoons

I'm sure I'm late to the party but I finally got hold of the chassis that I've always wanted..... It's the silver ALX Area 51.

MyTagforHalo2

Just checking in, I found a guy selling a Area-51 on the other side of the state and I had to grab it up. Payed $500 for it and it is basically in like-new condition. This is the only case they have ever made that has truly impressed me with both form and function. I still am at a loss to why they stopped making this model.. Im going to live with it as is for now, until I decide whether to just upgrade the components, or to replace the motherboard all together and make it more modern.

Though, I think I may need a bigger desk now..

IMG_20140807_213043nopm.jpg

Just FYI. This is my system purchased new 2012. Please, which revision (R?) is this?

Alienware Area-51 BASE,PHOBOS,ANW-DT,AREA 51,CA [224-7454]
Processors Intel® Core™ i7 960 Quad Core Processor (3.2GHz, 8MB Cache) [317-3430]
Memory 6GB DDR3 1333MHz (3x 2GB) Tri Channel Memory [317-2498]
Video Cards Single 2GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 [320-8782]
Hard Drives 2TB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 32MB Cache HDD [342-1238]
Chassis Color Deep Space Black - 1KW Power Supply [313-8661]
Floppy Drive 19-in-1 Media Card Reader [341-9808]
Operating Systems Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 64bit, English [330-6443]
[330-6444] [420-6436] [420-9691] [421-2063]
Optical Drives Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability [313-9200] [421-0975]
Sound Card Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio [313-9776]
Wireless 1525 PCIe WLAN card with 11n mini-Card & external antenna [430-3691]
Cooling Option Alienware™ High-Performance Liquid Cooling [330-5817]

Thank you.

ALXAndy

They've all changed since. I still have all of them, but one is at my mother's in use, the silver one has been deboarded and packed away and the old skool build is in the closet.

JDM4Life

Aloha, I forgot to check in....

Hi everyone, been out of the loop for a while but thinking about upgrading my old i7 920 dual 5770 SLI 12gig system upgraded to todays specs. Any ideas of compatible Motherboards, Modular Power supply and if anyone has done it I'd love to read your build thread on it. Still on the fence if I should go with the latest Threadripper or i9900K.

Or even the 3950x is something I'm interested in with a MSI Prestige X570 CREATION (E-ATX) motherboard.

• Has anyone ever successfully installed an E-ATX board in our large case?

I wanna use it for medium gaming, like Battlefield and Tanks as well as streaming and processing 4k video from my DJI drone.

I'll post pics of my old rig...

Cass-Olé

Any ideas of compatible Motherboards, Modular Power supply and if anyone has done it I'd love to read your build thread on it. Still on the fence if I should go with the latest Threadripper or i9900K. Or even the 3950x is something I'm interested in with a MSI Prestige X570 CREATION (E-ATX) motherboard.
  • Has anyone ever successfully installed an E-ATX board in our large case?
I'll post pics of my old rig...
@|JDM > I replied to you on the Dellware forum Sept 19 Area-51 Alien Transplant. Your user history there says you were asking about Skylake swaps back in 2017 & you were given a few links to mthrbrd swaps then. As for my reply to u there a few weeks ago, I linked you to some posts, one of which I documented w/ pics of 20 or 30 mthrbrd swaps & linked u to my PSU swap guide. To answer your questions here, all popular mthrbrds should work (Asus, Giga, MSI, Asrock etc), Ryzen builds do exist & E-ATX boards will fit if u relocate the black snap-lok over a few inches (either using unused pre-drilled holes found in the mthrbrd tray, or, consider adhesive-backed (Industrial Strength) velcro). I've helped about 70 owners do a PSU swap the past 6 years, to do so requires you make your own MIO board cable (like ALXAndy did), or, hire me to do one. I've helped with popular Seasonic, Corsair, EVGA models in the 850w - 1600w range. The best stock PSU is VHM5V 1200w (& the easiest to install). I'd like to think my prior post helped you survey the landscape, maybe u didn't see it. My best rigs here are X99 builds, I can't say what the best choices are these days, I don't make recommendations on which mthrbrds, GRFX cards, or PSUs to buy, there's too much to pick from; best advice is to stick to name brand items & sniff out the best deals possible. I can say that MSI is known to be a good fit in R1. WarMachine has a pair of 9900k for sale, using Giga & Asus

Here's Élyse investing into AMD parts like Threadripper & her attempt at x2 295x2 ... I helped get the EVGA PSU in, includes Enermax 240mm TR4 cooler + AsRock TaiChi
Feb 2019.jpg final VGA cables install.jpg

Last edited: