Area 51 R1 Alien Head won’t turn off after shutdown

hgs24

I recently upgraded an old Area 51 R1 with new internals (ASRock X570 Taichi, Ryzen 7 5800X). An Issue I’m having is that the Alien Head in the front won’t turn off when the system is shut down. It breaths orange-red and stays lit. No other lights in the case is on. The control boards for the fins and lights are original and connected.

I have tried doing a power cycle (shut down, unplug, hold power button for 10 sec) without success. The only BIOS setting I could find is “Turn on LED in S5” which is set to disabled. Command Center 2.8.11.0 is installed and set up. I don't see a setting to control the lights when in shutoff state from CC.

Is there anything else I can try to get the alien head led to turn off when the system is off?

Attachments

• C9BF5C0D-8840-4C94-8C6F-0A3A4B179073.jpeg
    C9BF5C0D-8840-4C94-8C6F-0A3A4B179073.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

MattyB

It sounds like it thinks it's in sleep or hibernate mode rather than shut down. Not sure if I can be much help but @Cass-Olé will probably know a trick or two

hgs24

It sounds like it thinks it's in sleep or hibernate mode rather than shut down. Not sure if I can be much help but @Cass-Olé will probably know a trick or two
Your comment made me realize a connection that I missed. I went back into Command Center > Alien FX.

I then went to the Advanced Settings view and changed the sleep state light pattern (which matched the pattern I see in the OFF state) and set them to black (off).

The alien head is no longer lit when the pc is off now. Thank you. I’ll upload screenshots in a bit so others with a similar issue can see step by step.

This doesn’t fix the issue of the control board thinking it’s in a sleep state, but it does fix the problem of the light being on when in shut down state.

Out of curiosity, what cooler are you using and how are the temps? What gpu do you have?

I have a 5800x with an rtx 3080 in a predator 2 case but it runs mighty warm. I had intended to upgrade to the R1 but the temperatures are making me reconsider.
It's great to hear you have had success in this upgrade.

thanks!

hgs24

Out of curiosity, what cooler are you using and how are the temps? What gpu do you have?

I have a 5800x with an rtx 3080 in a predator 2 case but it runs mighty warm. I had intended to upgrade to the R1 but the temperatures are making me reconsider.
It's great to hear you have had success in this upgrade.

thanks!
I am using a Noctua NH-U9S air cooler for my CPU. I haven’t done much stress test for heat since I only have the gpu that the pc originally came with. I’m trying to get an RTX 3080 but I refuse to pay scalper prices.

I can say that the cpu temp was 70C at idle and running chrome. And it’s quiet as a whisper compared to before.

My fan layout is one exhaust out the back, the stock intake at the front, and 2 intake fans at top.

did you modify the case cooling? It seems like in all the alienware cases Both dell and pre-dell, they only have 1 or 2 intakes and 1 exhaust plus the PSU ventilation. Dells solution is to put big, loud high RPM fans in the cases which works, but is so noisy. They followed suit with the R1 for intake but has the potential for 3 fans up top at least gives some more airflow capabilities? Its disappointing and with the potential AWCC problems are making me really reconsider using this for my main system.

idle at 70c is no good. I have a Dark Rock Pro 4 on my 5800x, and I idled in the high 30s inside my predator 2 case. The CPU would get into the 70s while gaming, but the amount of warm air just sitting in the case was uncomfortable. I actually intend to buy a Lian Li PC-011D or similar to keep this heater CPU and GPU cool.

hgs24

did you modify the case cooling? It seems like in all the alienware cases Both dell and pre-dell, they only have 1 or 2 intakes and 1 exhaust plus the PSU ventilation. Dells solution is to put big, loud high RPM fans in the cases which works, but is so noisy. They followed suit with the R1 for intake but has the potential for 3 fans up top at least gives some more airflow capabilities? Its disappointing and with the potential AWCC problems are making me really reconsider using this for my main system.

idle at 70c is no good. I have a Dark Rock Pro 4 on my 5800x, and I idled in the high 30s inside my predator 2 case. The CPU would get into the 70s while gaming, but the amount of warm air just sitting in the case was uncomfortable. I actually intend to buy a Lian Li PC-011D or similar to keep this heater CPU and GPU cool.
I didn't do much modification to the Area 51 R1 case. I took out the old water cooling AIO and replaced it with the Noctua NH-U9S air cooler for my CPU.

For case fans, I removed the plastic that was covering the top vents (Why Dell?) and put in 2 DEEPCOOL CF120 RGB fans as intake fans and 1 Noctua NF-B9 as an exhaust fan in the back of the case. I left the stock front intake fan in place.

I basically took notes from this thread: https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General-Read-Only/Area-51-ALX-fans-positions/td-p/5583189

BTW, I was completely wrong about my temps. I watched my ASRock utility and my idle temp was 40C, 40-50C when I was installing PC Mark. I haven't found any software that can do stress testing and measure temps, and I'm not sure if CS:GO would be a good benchmark.

That sounds better! What I would do is install hw info or hw monitor. Then run a stress test for the cpu. These are usually worst case scenarios, but will certainly answer some questions. I am not sure what the best stress is for the 5800x.

That said I'd be shocked of that cooler could keep up. That's 5800x CPUs run really hot most of the time

And for that vent cover the only thing I can think of is that it prevents at escaping and keeps it moving in the direction you want. Otherwise... Totally ridiculous.

Last edited:

MattyB

I grabbed myself an Area-51 ALX over the weekend for next to nothing. I also noticed the black plastic that they used to cover use the top vent section. It seems ridiculous that they'd restrict airflow like that. My only guess is they did it for dust protection.