test

Area 51 R1 Build (Motherboard Compatibility with Area 51 R1)

Andrew_J994

Been looking into upgrading my Area 51, Having trouble choosing a motherboard that compatible with my MIO board.
Heres what im looking at:
-AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Ryzen 7 3700X or Ryzen 5 3600X.
-Asus ROG Strix B450-F
-32 GB Gskill DDR4
Any Help appreciated.
Thanks

While i don't know the compatibility with the MIO board, I can say the B450-F was a nice motherboard, I had it paired with a Ryzen 5 1600 earlier this year, it didn't get much use, but I was very impressed with the quality of the board, and the UEFI interface and eventually sold it.

While it's not as crucial as it was in the early days of Ryzen, make sure you check the ram you have selected against the QVL Asus provides for the board just to be safe. It will assist in guaranteeing being able to run at the rated speed.

I am actually considering buying the combo again since I liked it so much! they're both in my cart on amazon Haha.

I will be staying tuned, I guess I didn't realize certain boards were more compatible with the MIO boards the others.

Andrew_J994

Came to a conclusion... I have decided on upgrading to...

Asus B450F ROG Strix
Ryzen 7 3700X
32 GB Gskill Ripjaws DDR4 2x16GB 3200MHz
Reusing my XFX RX 480 RS to later be upgraded to a RX 5600XT

Yeah I figured I'd ask around after reading Cass-Ole's thread on the Area 51 R1 Motherboard swap with an Area 51 R2 Board with an i7 5820k, which was my original intent when I bought my Area 51 R1.

They had mentioned that since the MIO and Motherboard AWCC wouldnt work together likely due to the MIO Running 2.8(something) and the Board running 4.0 that it was impossible to control fans and maybe a couple other things i cant remember currently and had mentioned not to upgrade to AWCC 4.0 due to the possibility of bricking the MIO board or loosing functionality.

They had recommended instead to go with a reputable branded mobo which is what im doing now but had also suggested googling mobo swaps with the Area 51 R1 and the board youre into but I havent found any threads on it anywhere so I guess you could consider my Area 51 Patient Zero.

Gonna look at possibly picking up either RAM or motherboard tonight. Ill get the rest when I sell off my dual speaker Subwoofer to my cousin and when I sell my macbook pro which both should be within the week.

Thanks, -Andrew

Cass-Olé

I guess I didn't realize certain boards were more compatible with the MIO boards the others.
I missed your earlier top post Andrew. I think the Asus is a fine choice in the sense it fits into my larger opinion that all retail boards have at least the potential to work, where 'all' have the potential to be compatible w/the MIO board

If we take Asus & MSI, they have their own fan control & overclocking software (AISuite & MSI CmndCntr etc) to tweak & play with chassis/cpu fan headers etc

The R2 alienboard also has fan (& OC) software for the headers, but it's CmndCntr 4.x versions > u cant run two instances of CC at the same time, &, CC 2.8.9/2.8.11 is the only version u want to run in your R1 (do not install 3.5/3.6/4 or higher versions, they wont work), so if there is an odd-ball mthrbrd out there it's the R2-R7 alien boards due to software conflict. Otherwise I got my alienboard in & it works, I'm happy. It's not as nice as say the retail MSI x99 Pro Carbon I had my eye on, or say Asus X99 Deluxe II, it was more of a project to get R2 parts into R1. I adapted the R2 1500watt PSU already & wanted to try the mthrbrd

Capture.JPG
Asus B450 is using same FP header pinout as the original MSI X58, so your wiring (the front panel connector) is already setup to be plug & play, good luck & take your time (=

Along this subject, is there any major compatibility issues between different versions of the main control board?

I'd be interested in buying a spare as these become harder to replace it might be nice to have. ebay has a v2 for around $20... seems reasonable for a spare?

Cass-Olé

only compatibility issue is x3 part #'s exist for standard cases, & a different x3 are for ALX models w/motor connector. The basic FMDKG or FDNW2 at $20 is a great price, while $50 for ALX-type has held fast the past 2years (in the old days they were $30 or less). Best advice: always have a spare MIO onhand, $20 = good investment. Spare stock PSU good to have also if u can get it for $35/shipped or so (=

3 part #'s for A-51: M5VF8 v1.0 / FMDKG v1.01 / FDNW2 v2.0
3 part #'s for ALX: FWKNT v1.01 / CR1KN V1.01 / 604GC v2.0

Andrew_J994

7F1B8820-07BF-4206-BF03-07CC66F8B3B7.jpeg
Not Pretty but its good for now. Had to buy an NZXT USB Hub. Need 2 More SATA ports. Had to remove the PCIe Shroud due to the air cooler. Retension Bracket for AIO on the way.

Small Update More to come. Thanks

Andrew_J994

Final Update for now:

Turns out the B450F ROG Strix isnt compatible with windows 7. *Sigh* It May just need a reinstall, but i dont think Ill be able to get Ultimate unless I do the bios key again.

Ethernet speeds are UNBEARABLY SLOW. Im talking 300MPBS MAX. I should be running 1GBPS! Any Suggesstions?

Had to install Windows 10 Home on a Mechanical HDD so it’ll be transferred to my boot SSD tomorrow after a format.

Don’t know if I mentioned this or not, but I installed 2 120mm fans up top. Don’t know the best way of connectivity, I ended up using the SYSFAN Connectors on the FX/Pump header board. Should I use this or headers on the Mobo? Alien Modders! Dont cut the rivets holding in the plastic! They can simply be squeezed in with pliers. May not be for you but for someone like me, I like to conserve OG Parts.

Im gonna try to reuse the OG Alienware Asetek 120mm AIO, I ordered a new Asetek mount ring which should work for what I need :)

Got a Custom Boot Logo up for the Splash Screen. High-Res Alien with the red eyes and fog with text I added underneath saying “ALIENWARE AREA 51 R1” Looks nice but i might remove the text or change it a bit.

Final Specs:
ASUS B450F ROG Strix
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
32 GB Gskill Ripjaws V 3200MHz
XFX RX 480 RS 8GB
256GB SSD
525GB Crucial MX500 SSD
WD 1TB HDD
WD 4TB HDD
Optical Drive
BlueRay Drive

Microcenter employee was very enthused with my build. He had actually bought the same Mobo with the 3600x and 16GB. He said he was kinda disappointed he didnt go with my config lol! He asked me what I was upgrading from, I said “Same computer as my Uncle, Alienware Area 51 R1/ALX with the Active venting” his face when I told him the specs was priceless “Intel Core i7 x990” got him! I couldnt keep a straight face He never heard of it! I explained its a 1st gen i7 and that it hadnt been upgraded for ~10 years.

As for anything else, I need a SATA expansion card that is actually PCIE NOT PCI! Wtf! Why are they selling PCI Hardware?? Didnt PCI die out circa 2008? Maybe a pair of 80mm Fans for the rear. And gonna save up for a GPU this summer, Looking at an RTX 2070 Super or Equivilent when the time comes.

Its been a wild ride filled with excitement, joy, anger, rage, destruction, cursing, and door slamming, and yet Im satisfied with it and glad I could share if here for everyone to enjoy.

Sometimes I look back to my past PC history, No my first PC was nothing special, hell, it wasnt even new hardware when I got it. A Dell Optiplex from the mid 2000s with not even 4gb of ram. Makes me thankful for where I am now and trying to pursue this as a career doing something I love.

Thanks everyone for reading, hope you enjoyed.
-Andrew

Andrew_J994

Also, this is the worst case I have ever done work in lol. I never wanna open it up like that again. Its beautiful but a pain in the ass!!

Cass-Olé

Andrew, just wrapped up from superbowl party, so can't stay long
I might've deleted my links after W7 support ran out, but Google > Asus W7 tool (ez installer) or the MSI W7 tool. It's a way to load USB3 drivers into the ISO so it can install. Try uTube for how to load 7 onto newer AMD (or how to get 7 to work with it), the video how-to's on getting 7 to work started to be created around Skylake. No USB drivers in your 7 ISO might explain why no keyboard/mouse worked earlier

For fans, use the headers on the mthrbrd, control them w/ the software Asus provided

2.3.20 edit: MIO has a CPU_Fan cable connector we'd normally plug into mthrbrd CPU_Fan header, & if so then the top left cooling pwrboard Sys_Fan2 header is the output for the rad-fan speed. If you have no rad or rad-fan, then any fan plugged into Sys_Fan2, its speed will be based on what the mthrbrd thinks the CPU_Fan speed should be. That means it could run slow-medium or fast, depending on CPU Temps. Typically the mthrbrd supplies 'chassis fan' headers for case (non-CPU non-Rad) fans like top 120mm & rear 92mm, so it's just as easy to plug into those & use the included software

On another note, the other fan headers up on the top left pwrboard tend to be constant 12volts, so u could plug fans into those if u want them at full speed at all times & an ez place to plug in at. We might do that for low-amp 120x25mm fans (.05A-.15A or so, )where full speed is neither too loud but also if they're of low-amp & thus at full speed don't pump out too many CFMs (~60-70 CFM etc), thus crank them up to full speed so u can toss decent CFMs in or out of case (50 CFMs or lower isnt very robust, so might as well plug them in at full speed at all times if noise permits)

No idea how to get faster ethernet speeds, try a USB wifi adaptor to test against maybe

Last edited:

Andrew_J994

Will try this out later and give an update. Thanks for the suggestion, I still wayy prefer winows 7 over 10 any day lol.

Andrew_J994

Update: Seems like it might be a hassle to install 7, I may revisit at another point in the next few days or next week. But for now I'm gonna give 10 another shot, if it goes well I may try and reuse my pro license to upgrade.

As far as the ethernet speeds, they are still very slow and says it'll take 50 mins to download a 500MB Driver/File and occasionally it will spike and download times will vary. Any help with this situation is very appreciated even if it doesn't work for me.

Thanks again
-Andrew

How did this go?

You can enter your windows 7 key in during windows 10 install, or after and it will activate still. I've done it a couple of times. I think it will still work on win 7 too.

I'm trying to decide how to handle this upgrade myself, I want to move my 9700k rig into the Area 51, and want to move the Area 51 x58 parts into one of my Predator 2 cases. I should probably look a little harder at the guides.

I picked up that Asus board and a ryzen 5 2600x (for my 6 year old as his first PC) I went a bit overboard on the mainboard, but its a really nice looking and quality board. Gotta love the Microcenter Combos.

Andrew_J994

It went well. I ended up sticking with 10 Home. Your sata connections are different from the motherboards guide so keep that in mind if you want to connect optical drives as well as HDDs/SSDs. I ended up having to use trial and error to get my correct configuration. Watch out for your wiring loom thingy, the parts that open are very fragile. I used 2 120mm fans up top next to the radiator and a 80mm in the back and am getting ambient case temps from 18-23 celcius opposed to the original 23-28 celcius.