Area 51 R2 fp pins

ALXAndy

Anyone got this written down? I'm about to swap my board out and need to create a fp header converter. I've done it before but I know it took me hours to buzz it and figure it all out so I'd prefer it easier this time.

TIA

Cass-Olé

JFP1 R2 Color.jpgFullSize - Copy.jpg

Is that what u need? The FIO board has an identical twin header on it, exact same as mthrbrd for reference. As with the FIO board, the mthrbrd FP header has its own explanatory micro-text u can make a sketch from or compare to the pics above to confirm. This MSI header layout is close to becoming industry standard these days

ALXAndy

The first pic :D

I got a X99 SLI plus by MSI so I did it before. Then I put the stock board back in though, so threw out the adapter I made.

Now I've got a X99 Godlike going in as an upgrade (currently 10 core 2.2ghz ES Broadwell Xeon, switching to a 2.8ghz 16 core with new board) so yeah, I gotta do it again.

I have two of my rigs in full use. One here (the 08) and the triad 2014 is at my mother's where I stay a week out of every month. It's currently got a Devil Vega 64 with 16gb but I'm wanting more higher clocked cores for editing and VMware.

I've got a couple of new ssds too, a 2gb Firecuda and a H80i V2 new also going in to make the 16 core behave. The standard cooling wasn't enough for the 2.8ghz 14 core I have, so more cores ain't gonna fare much better lol.

Thanks man, I really appreciate that. Saves me going mad buzzing it with my multimeter lol.

Cass-Olé

Capture.JPG
I've got the Godlike Carbon here (the cable set's red now + 240mm AIO), the FP pinout's the same one the R2 uses (standard MSI), your front panel cable (if it can reach) is plug & play; a front panel extension cable (with male prongs) to extend your cable would be plug n play also, as would a new longer off-the-shelf FP cable (20"+ / 50-60cm etc)

If using a short USB 5x5 extension (male prongs) or a longer true internal USB cable (20"+ / 50-60cm) you might have to change one wire & make a hole in the connector to accommodate outer pins 9/10 (relative to front panel 9/10, since the pin / no pin layout 'flips', one vs the other)

***I sold my R2 case, I can't remember but something tells me they gave it a 10-wire front panel cable where pin 10's wire is there but it's dead (due to no header pin), maybe it was the USB cable that had 10wires, maybe both did. Regardless, if a 10th wire (a full 5x5) is included in the stock FP cable then FP wire 10 / pin10 doesn't need a wire or inclusion in a mod using a new 9-wire extension or different 9-wire full cable etc

Last edited: