Area 51 R2 Power Supply Upgrade?

Feb 14, 2018
Hello and thankyou. I am no expert so I have some concerns I was hoping to get some feedback on. I am having some issues like random reboots that are BSOD screens. I have replaced everything except the mobo. I have added many things like dual 1080ti cards and usb add in card and nvme storage card and 19 usb ports are full. (thanks to VR)

I want to upgrade my PSU from the 850w to a 1500w which is recommended by Dell and many other PSU calculators and I think maybe I have a PSU shortage. Its weird if I do because I get complete random BSOD event 41 errors and it happens mid game and mostly during idle at night. I stress test it and I dont get it but who knows...

My pc is just over a year old and I guess I missed the train because now we are on R6 or something and I want a x299 board and bigger CPU eventually soon and was hoping to buy a Corsair AX1500i 1500w PSU and put it in my Area 51 R2 that way I can use this PSU for when I build or buy my next PC.

My question is will the Corsair AX1500i connect to my R2? I mean I know it will fit but I see that Dell PSU and Corsair PSU have different connections and I do not know if it will connect to my board and other components? If I had to guess I would say that I would just need to use all the cables that come with the Corsair PSU and swap out the weird Dell cables correct? Like for example the Dell cords for the motherboard are not the standard 24 pin that you see on all others, they are 6 pins that connect to the actual PSU. In fact all the ports on the Dell PSU are 6 pins. There are no 24 pin ATX at all. Also all the Dell cables are like all labeled to go in exactly in correct spot. I would think as long as it plugs into the PSU it is fine right? Maybe I should just buy a Dell 1500w PSU which are almost same price I just didnt want to have to buy another one in a few years as I would have same problem if I was to build my own PC.

The dell psu are all labeled like motherboard and ATX and like a corsair are not it just has a 24 pin which I assume is for mobo and a 10 pin right next to it but the dell psu has three 6 pins which are in the motherboard/cpu category. I just wanted to know if I can use a corsair ax1500i psu in a area 51 R2 as is? I am just guessing I have to use the supplied cables I just dont know if the other ends will plug into the mobo and all the other ones. I tried looking to see if anyones done it but didnt find any info. Thank you very much. Corsair PSU 1500w.png Dell PSU 1500w.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2013
Virginia
Ax1500i is not compatible with the 51 R2 motherboard, due to a Bios timing issue (1500i will 'click', but never turn on). Ax1600i is the newest PSU, but I've not heard of anyone trying it yet (it isn't certain if there is or is not a timing issue, someone would have to try it out 1st)

Part# 800GY is the 1500w Delta (a very good OEM), best advice is just buy one of those. It will be compatible with your 850w case harness, pull out 850 / plug in 1500

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...oc=1&_sop=10&_odkw=Alienware&_osacat=0&_oac=1

The 51 R2-R6 case harnesses are only compatible with the original 850/1500 --> never try to interchange those cables with another brand, they're electrically wired only for the 850/1500 --> modular PSU cables should only be used with the chassis they shipped with --> when buying an aftermarket PSU (Seasonic / EVGA / Corsair etc), consult a cable compatibility chart, normally found online

EVGA 1600 G2/P2 barely fits the R2 case, but has been known to work

Seasonic 1300w Gold/Platinum would be a good choice, $190 - $220/shipped Newegg after rebate (ends 9/03/18)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...8&cm_re=seasonic_1300w-_-17-151-208-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...4&cm_re=seasonic_1300w-_-17-151-214-_-Product

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018
Thank you for the much needed and incredible advice. I didn't know these things. I am only trying to save some money but I guess I will just forget about that and just buy the eBay one. I was just trying to get a PSU I could use for my next PC and First Build in another year or so.

In fact, the first PSU I was originally looking at was Seasonic as I see great reviews. I only said no to this because it wasn't big enough and Alienware said I needed a 1500w PSU for all my upgrades and USB devices. I used a calculator from PC part picker and it said like I needed a 1350w so I was just trying to be safe and go extra.

I am trying to rule out some possibilities with the problem I am having which is event 41 BSOD crash that happens randomly like 2-4 times a month. I have changed everything even the PSU but I should have gone with a 1500w instead of 850w. I was a lot stupider 3 weeks ago... (if that's a word lol)

Thank you so much. I guess I will just buy an OEM PSU. I found one on eBay that's used for much cheaper than those new ones because of holy crap...... The 850w PSU I just bought was only 80$. The 1500w is like 3 times more.

Jan 9, 2013
Virginia
You can describe your issues at the Dellware forum [ https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/bd-p/Alienware-desktops ] & Alien Arena [ https://na.alienwarearena.com/forums/board/162/technical-support-1 ]; a blue screen viewer / program might help [ https://www.google.com/search?ei=Go.....0i7i5i30k1j0i8i10i30k1j0i13k1.0.EJkMJ-Z_D3s ]

If the Aliens said you need a 1500w, it is because they wanted to sell you theirs or have you stick to theirs

I'd say the SS 1300w would still be ok, it depends on which CPU / GPUs are in use ...

Feb 14, 2018
OK thanks again, my friend. You are the best. I have dual 1080ti Founder Editions Nvidia and an Intel 6800k i7 which is overclocked by Alienware themselves via command center on the highest setting.

Feb 14, 2018
Hey Cass I have one more question while your responding please. Ever since my issue of my BSOD crashes I have been buying new tech to put into my pc to fix the issue. I bought new ram the corsair vengeance RGB 3000hz edition. Upon installing my ram I notice it was at 2133 or what not. I investigated on how to turn it up to 3000 but the cpu chip I have is i7 6800k for mobo x99. I can only use DRAM of 2400 or 2133 and my question is after researching I see that no cpu chip even made by intel will support 3000 frequency and why is that they even sell RAM higher then 2666 frequency which is the max for intels i9 7960X? I do not get it. I should have saved a few bucks and bought lower frequency ram.

I turned it up to 2400 and turned on intel XMP but when I put my ram to 3000 it runs fine on the first restart after BIOS but after 2 restarts the power is not enough and my keyboard and mouse do not stay powered up to completely boot up. I ordered a bigger PSU the 1500w one but I do not think its a PSU problem but I am limited by my CPU.

I might not know what I am talking about when it comes to frequency and mhz or clock speed. Please enlighten me if you have time.

Jan 9, 2013
Virginia
Sure. The 2133/2400 MHz stated by Intel are likely 'minimum' speeds. For instance, my 6850k BUILD runs GSkill 3600 @ 3400MHz. There is an AlienOwners 51 R2 thread, posted in this section, I can not find the post title, I did save the photos, they're the overclocking settings for 3200MHz ram Area51r2-1_02.jpg Area51r2-1_03.jpg Area51r2-1_05.jpg . While I own the 51 R2 motherboard, mine needs a CPU, I can not verify how fast ddr4 will run in it, I do know you need to enter manual overclocking mode, input the correct values, similar to the pics

I believe I heard that 2667MHz was the top speed the board will run (?), anything over that requires manual OC, like timing. Your 3000MHz might work if you play with the settings

The 51 R2 x99 boards are made by MSI, but they have a locked-down Bios (most overclocking / performance features aka granular control is missing, on purpose). I can't access my board til I get a CPU for it. I do have the MSI x99a Godlike Carbon board, I simply set the 3600 MHz ddr4 to 3400MHz and it works, regardless Intel lists the CPU as rated for 2133 etc. You overclock the memory to get it to run faster than minimum

If I find that post where these pics are from I'll edit in the link

Jan 9, 2013
Virginia
How to overcome 2133mhz ram limits on Area51 R2 with I7-5960X X99, Now overclocked from BIOS with XMP corsair platinum DDR4 @3200Mhz >
https://www.alienowners.com/threads...-with-xmp-corsair-platinum-ddr4-3200mhz.7676/

Your specific ddr4 make/model/speed, may need different settings than these before it will pass P.O.S.T & boot up, I wouldn't know how to help dial it in, not until my board's up and running. Feel free to chime into the post above

Feb 14, 2018
Thats ok I didnt want you to have to work for it or spend your time. I guess I understand now. I didnt change anything in my area 51 r2 bios except turning on intel XMP or extreme memory profile and left everything else to auto. Which after that it set it to 3000mhz or frequency. But as I said after one boot it will not boot all the way on on windows 10 sign in my keyboard and mouse shut off and alienware lights or corsair light loop fans do not set to my custome rgb profile which tells me that not all drivers or apps are booting. A power issue I am guessing do to the auto overclock it is doing.

So I just manually set the frequency to 2400mhz on the ddr4 part instead of auto and it runs fine now. I understand what your are trying to tell me though. I thought those were the max settings referenced by intels website so thank you.

I found a thread from dells site but I dont think its the one your referring to. I will start digging.

Jan 9, 2013
Virginia
I bought my XJKKD alienboard for $63 used, lol, dropped my Broadwell-E in it, tested it, pulled CPU back out & it's sat, I've yet to use it. My MSI board has a set-it and forget-it ddr4 / cpu overclocking feature I use. My 3600 ddr4 has XMP profiles that 'work' at the 3000+ speeds, plus a more robust Bios menu. The alienboard requires manual OC settings to get ddr4 to work above 2400/26667, another user will have to help you out to get your memory to work at the higher speeds, maybe try Alien Arena? The user post here proves that 3200 is attainable when using Dominator sticks

I'd suggest uTube for MSI X99 board tutorials for memory overclocking + the MSI forum also, you / we have the MS-7862 motherboard > https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?board=122.0

Feb 14, 2018
I have seen your post on this I do believe. But if I remember you dont have case lights correct? Also it was difficult to drop that MSI godlike board into the area 51 r2 case, as far as getting alienware command center to install and work. I know that Alienware command center is different now with the new update in where it now comes from the windows store and its the new updated one but there are still missing features.

Nothing is overclocked except by using the alienware command center going with option 2
I run a tight ship here, very clean sparing no expense for norton and registry cleaner and pc cleaner. (basically a giant gaming rig and VR, my baby)

Yes my pc is area 51 r2 i7 6800k,
32g ram with new corsair rgb vengeance 3000mhz ddr4 (very new like days old)
1080ti FE Nvidia dual SLI GPU's
nvme Samsung SSD 1gb via pcie add in card (also additional usb 5 port add in card, even with this I have every usb port filled except the front two but use them to charge headset and such)
Sata SSD x2 HDD x2
850w PSU (new) a 1500w used coming from ebay

I have bought alienware my entire life and I can say for certain this is my last one and I will most likely build my own next time. (first build it will be)

I did many days of research on installing a new motherboard into my area 51 r2 and decided to just settle for what I have for a few years as I just bought this thing. (well its going on 1.5 years or so now)

I will start researching on how to get it to run or I will just put my older memory back in and save this for my future build in a couple years. I originally bought this to try and fix a BSOD issue or event 41.

Thank you.

Jan 9, 2013
Virginia
"I have seen your post on this I do believe. But if I remember you dont have case lights correct? Also it was difficult to drop that MSI godlike board into the area 51 r2 case, as far as getting alienware command center to install and work."

No, I haven't tried my MSI board in the R2 case, although it should have been fine in there, I suspect the lights would work, yes. but it went into my R1 > The ALX Files: Goddess Like Gaming with MSI x99a 6850k > https://www.dell.com/community/Alie...-Like-Gaming-with-MSI-x99a-6850k/td-p/5575023

AVicD and I figured out the CmndCntr work-around for aftermarket boards & versions of CmndCntr after 3.0, it's a Registry edit that you'd use if you swap in a new board (the 51 R3-R6 versions of CC may work, perhaps not the newest built for Triad 2.0 cases). Case lights not working is a possible major downside, yes, and there is no list of 'approved swap boards'. If you see a swap online, ask the person what board it is and if the lights work > https://www.alienowners.com/threads...-center-for-a-non-alienware-motherboard.7119/

Most people have said that CmndCntr 4.0.x installs fine, without a workaround, on aftermarket boards