ATA Vs AHCI sata mode

MattyB

Resource Administrator / Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
I am installing windows onto a single HDD. When I had it set up in RAID 0, obviously the SATA mode was set to RAID, when I had an SSD installed it was set to AHCI. I am wondering which is best to set it to when it's just on one HDD. AHCI or ATA? What is the difference? I'm leaning towards AHCI but I don't really know the difference.

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Well I can't even get windows to detect the HDD while I'm trying to install it. The HDD shows up in windows when I have the SSD in but once I remove the SSD and try to install windows, it says that there are no drives in the machine. I completely reformatted the HDD before it went in so I'm assuming it's missing drivers/firmware that it needs for using it as a boot drive. I installed the Seagate firmware from Dell but that made no difference. Maybe I didn't do it properly. It says, 'No signed device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers.' I have used 2 different AW Windows 7 disks with the same result. Ahhhhhh!!!!! Someone help me!

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Nope. No luck. It still doesn't even give me an option to choose a disk like it does in these instructions. It's weird that it recognises the HDD when it is just the storage drive with the SSD but not when its installing. I have given up tonight and I will try again tomorrow. I'm thinking I may as well just sell it as it is with the SSD in it. I will need to do a fresh install on that disk too so I'm sure I'll have more problems with that.....