ATI 480 -updates

8*sectorb6

Nov 3, 2013
usa
Hi
here's some info:
A single six-pin PCI connector powers the RX 480. The PCB the graphics processor rests on is not large, but the cooling shroud extends beyond it, increasing the length of the card to about eight and a half inches. It’s also almost four inches wide, and about 1.3 inches tall. These dimensions are almost identical to the Nvidia GTX 960, though the 960 is about a half-inch longer. The RX 480 is much smaller than the Asus-branded Radeon R9 380X we have in our office, which is over an inch longer and almost an inch wider. Overall, the new Radeon’s footprint is about the same as other mid-range video cards we’ve tested over the past few years.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/video-card-reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-review/#ixzz4D0wiYXTS
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

k15

Aug 8, 2012
Size shouldn't be a problem whatsoever, but there are some unsettling reports about the 480 jumping above the 150w specification into the 160's. AMD might be able to resolve with something as simple as a bios update, but in any case the partner cards almost certainly won't have this problem. It might be worth sitting tight for now, although trying it out is pretty unlikely to fry your board or anything; worst case scenario, your pc shuts off from excessive strain on the PSU and you return the card.

8*sectorb6

Nov 3, 2013
usa
Hi k15, could you link that info on power spike.
I'm waiting for the Price spikes to subside on Amazon LoL.
I see this:
AMD_RobertTechnical Marketing 407 points408 points409 points 1 day ago* (174 children)

1) The RX 480 meets the bar for PCIe compliance testing with PCI-SIG. //edit: and interop with PCI Express. This is not just our internal testing. I think that should be made very clear. Obviously there are a few GPUs exhibiting anomalous behavior, and we've been in touch with these reviewers for a few days to better understand their test configurations to see how this could be possible.

2) Update #2 made by the OP is confused. There is a difference between ASIC power, which is what ONLY THE GPU CONSUMES (110W), and total graphics power (TGP), which is what the entire graphics card uses (150W). There has been no change in the spec, so I would ask that incorrect information stop being disseminated as "fact."

We will have more on this topic soon as we investigate, but it's worth reminding people that only a very small number of hundreds of RX 480 reviews worldwide encountered this issue. Clearly that makes it aberrant, rather than the rule, and we're working to get that number down to zero.

/edit for absolute factual clarity.

quicksilv3r

Sep 29, 2015
my XFX RX 480 8GB finally got in. is running great on my x51 R2. installation was easy, card is short so i didnt have to remove front case fan. the only thing i did was move my hdd to above dvddrive. so the card can get move air clearance. the card runs hot.
i seen temps of 80. but no shutdowns anything. i also used speedfan app to make custom fan settings for cpu/gpu and case fan.
FIRE STRIKE score http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9074090
FIRE STRIKE EXTREME score http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9073718
unigine heaven bench mark http://imgur.com/gallery/mYuve
im not going test OC, im not going risk damage to MB.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8*sectorb6

k15

Aug 8, 2012
Hi k15, could you link that info on power spike.
I'm waiting for the Price spikes to subside on Amazon LoL.
I see this:
AMD_RobertTechnical Marketing 407 points408 points409 points 1 day ago* (174 children)

1) The RX 480 meets the bar for PCIe compliance testing with PCI-SIG. //edit: and interop with PCI Express. This is not just our internal testing. I think that should be made very clear. Obviously there are a few GPUs exhibiting anomalous behavior, and we've been in touch with these reviewers for a few days to better understand their test configurations to see how this could be possible.

2) Update #2 made by the OP is confused. There is a difference between ASIC power, which is what ONLY THE GPU CONSUMES (110W), and total graphics power (TGP), which is what the entire graphics card uses (150W). There has been no change in the spec, so I would ask that incorrect information stop being disseminated as "fact."

We will have more on this topic soon as we investigate, but it's worth reminding people that only a very small number of hundreds of RX 480 reviews worldwide encountered this issue. Clearly that makes it aberrant, rather than the rule, and we're working to get that number down to zero.

/edit for absolute factual clarity.

Tom's Hardware reported that the 480 "significantly exceeds" its specified power draw, but AMD says that the problem is limited to a handful review models; i dunno.

k15

Aug 8, 2012
my XFX RX 480 8GB finally got in. is running great on my x51 R2. installation was easy, card is short so i didnt have to remove front case fan. the only thing i did was move my hdd to above dvddrive. so the card can get move air clearance. the card runs hot.
i seen temps of 80. but no shutdowns anything. i also used speedfan app to make custom fan settings for cpu/gpu and case fan.
FIRE STRIKE score http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9074090
FIRE STRIKE EXTREME score http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9073718
unigine heaven bench mark http://imgur.com/gallery/mYuve
im not going test OC, im not going risk damage to MB.

For those of us who don't have much experience with these kinds of things, would you be able to show us a picture of your pc's insides so we can see where exactly you moved the hdd?

Installed this in the x51 I sold to my friend. I used to run a gtx 980 on it.

Only thing I needed to do to make sure the card wasn't running hot was to create a fan profile in Wattman (AMD's new application bundled with drivers) and undervolt the card just a tad. Without any changes the card got up to 91 degrees.

With the undervolt the card was at a stable 1266hz (stock speed) and temps were in the 72-76 range with a peak of 80 while a playing The Division for 3 hours.

Total system draw was around 250=265 watts while playing, my old 980 would peak at around 275-280 watts while playing.

All in all, the card was really cheap and let my friend finally max out some games that the stock 760 with 1.5gb ram couldn't.

k15

Aug 8, 2012
Installed this in the x51 I sold to my friend. I used to run a gtx 980 on it.

Only thing I needed to do to make sure the card wasn't running hot was to create a fan profile in Wattman (AMD's new application bundled with drivers) and undervolt the card just a tad. Without any changes the card got up to 91 degrees.

With the undervolt the card was at a stable 1266hz (stock speed) and temps were in the 72-76 range with a peak of 80 while a playing The Division for 3 hours.

Total system draw was around 250=265 watts while playing, my old 980 would peak at around 275-280 watts while playing.

All in all, the card was really cheap and let my friend finally max out some games that the stock 760 with 1.5gb ram couldn't.

Did you modify the case in any way to fit the 980 on the first place?