test

Aurora Alien Head case mod

MattyB

I have bit the bullet and I decided to go ahead with my plan to put an Alienhead on the side of my newly painted Aurora. This head will have cut out eyes which look through to the inside of the machine and they will glow different colors depending on what light strip I have plugged in. It's early days right now but here is a quick pic. The Alienhead is made from a carbon fiber style vinyl sheet.

I still have to file out the eyes and make a nice big hole in the metal backing behind the plastic panel.IMG_0874.jpgIMG_0876.jpg

sway

That'll look pretty sweet.

tappin from the Note II

MattyB

Cheers. It probably wasn't a good idea starting it after 8 beers. I took a few gouges out of the white paint while filing with too much excitement. Now I have to fill in the marks and repaint it :eek:

DDuB420

Good idea with the carbon fiber vinyl.
How many different colored light strips are you going to get?

MattyB

I already have white and green. I have just ordered red and blue. That will do me I think. They were out of clear acrylic panels so the eyes will be open for a little while. I'm thinking I should transfer the mobo and i7-3820 from the ALX into this one and sell it. Otherwise it will just sit there doing nothing.

MattyB

I still need a clear panel to put behind the eyes and a few more colors but it's basically done.

IMG_0893.jpgIMG_0894.jpgIMG_0885.jpg

AeonSoul

Like you now, get an hammer and hit it from the inside so the head will pop out a bit, or something like that D:

MattyB

Oh. No I don't think I'll try that one. I was thinking of cutting around the head so the light can outline it. Kind of like the power button on the lappies. Obviously I would have to leave a few spots of plastic so the head stays there.

AeonSoul

Oh. No I don't think I'll try that one. I was thinking of cutting around the head so the light can outline it. Kind of like the power button on the lappies. Obviously I would have to leave a few spots of plastic so the head stays there.

Or you can totally saw the head off, glue the plastic panel to the hole so to close it and glue the head over it, so it will be outlined and covered.

AeonSoul

I'll try to explain better:
You're going to buy a transparent plastic panel to close the hole you made for the eyes? Am I right?
If so, you can buy a bigger one, completely cutt the alien head off from the case a make a bigger hole, close that hole with the plastic panel, smooth a bit the alien head so to reduce its diameter and glue it on the plastic panel, so you will have a light outline all around the head edges, like the power button on the laptop.

MattyB

Ahhhh....now I get it. Yeah I could do that. There is quite a bit of plastic support on the backside of the panel. It will be a pain to get rid of it for a bigger piece of clear plastic. Not impossible though.

It would be the best option. Good thinking! I need a die grinder!!

MattyB

I scrapped it and ended up just cutting a bigger hole and spraying it black. You can see it on my latest pic of my ALX.