Aurora R11 Seems to Hang on Reboot

JTussey

My Aurora R11 hangs on restart, requiring a hard shutdown and reboot. Is any one else seeing this problem?

Previously the motherboard was swapped out because of a BIOS upgrade which never completed. After the motherboard was swapped out, the Tech upgraded the Bios but this problem remains.

MattyB

I would contact Dell Support again and make sure they get it fixed properly. If it hangs while Windows is loading then it's possible you'll need to do a system restore or reinstall Windows from scratch.

Also, never flash a BIOS update using Support Assist. It has been causing lots of system issues and bricked boards.

JTussey

Yep. I think you are right on all counts. That's pretty pathetic on their part. I have had Aurora's since R4 and never had this problem.

MattyB

Unfortunately, in most countries, Dell 'techs' are just guys from local PC repair stores that are contracted with Dell. Most of them have no experience with Alienware laptops or desktops and often do more harm than good.

MattyB

I haven't had an Alienware desktop since the R4 but I'm assuming you can still do the ePSA diagnostic. Press F12 during post to get into the Boot Menu and select the Diagnostic. If you have a hardware issue it should hopefully find it, but it doesn't always.

JTussey

I went ahead and downloaded the BIOS update manually and installed it. Things seem to be working fine now. Thanks for all the help!

MattyB

Awesome. Best to keep those Dell 'techs' far away unless it's absolutely required.

eddieclark38

My Aurora R11 hangs on restart, requiring a hard shutdown and reboot. Is any one else seeing this problem?

Previously the motherboard was swapped out because of a BIOS upgrade which never completed. After the motherboard was swapped out, the Tech upgraded the Bios but this problem remains.
Not sure maybe reinstall the operating system i dunno. That kinda sucks tho