Aurora R3 motherboard upgrade socket recommendations.

tgorfid

Apr 16, 2014
Florida
I am new here so let me start by saying hello to anyone reading this.

I might be forced to change my I7 2600k in the next few days if a motherboard swap doesn't fix the lag issue that my SSD seemed to pick up in the last week. Thinking the problem might be dying sata connections on my 46MHW OEM board. The Corsair force 3 tested fine with read and write at 6 & 5 so I'm pretty sure that is stable. Anyway I ordered a new gigabyte z77 lga1155 board and if that fails then the only culprit left is the chip.

So has anyone changed motherboards from the 1155 socket size to an 1150 to support one of the newer Intel chips? I spent 2 days trying to find a higher end mobo but Everything was out of stock. I wanted to go to the ASUS Maximus V Gene matx, or the Gigabyte Sniper but out of stock everywhere. Pretty much all matx performance boards were out of stock. But during my search I found plenty that were in stock for other socket sizes....just none for the 1155.

Would the swap be the same as just replacing the oem mobo with an upgraded 1155 board or will there be major hardware issues. New driver and a fresh install of Windows would be completed with the new board and processor. Has anyone successfully done this and retained the use of Command Center and Fulham functioning case lights?

I am running Windows 7 64 bit with 240gb Corsair Force 3 SSD , dual AMD HD 6780 1GB GPU, oem 875 osu and 16 gb corsair vengence DDR3 1600MZ .

I checked the other threads about motherboard upgrades but did not see any posts about going to a different socket size on a new matx board. If I missed that thread I do apologize.

Any input is welcome and thank you in advance.

Last edited:

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Welcome!
I believe that Holeyguy went for a Gene mobo. Could be mistaken though. I upgraded my R4 ALX a while ago with an aftermarket mobo and I had no major issues with CC. It wasn't quite as responsive as it was with an OEM board though. If I hadn't changed the lights for a little while it would have this thing where once you changed the light zones I would have to reboot the PC for them to change. Once I did that then they would chance 'on the fly' again until I went another longer period without changing them. Wasn't a huge problem.
Previous gen mobos will get harder to find. If you're going to keep your 2600 then you will just have to find the best one you can. Either that or you will have to upgrade. I doubt you will have any major issues going for an 1150. You will most likely love it!

tgorfid

Apr 16, 2014
Florida
Thanks for the response. I have no problem staying with the 2600k as its still blazing fast and paired with the SSD and the Corsair Vengence I rarely have any issues with hang ups. Boot time is less than 30 seconds and even with my work program, which is a monster resource sucker, Pandora going, at least 4 other explorer Windows going on a triple monitor set up the speed is amazing. Speed tests for internet even hit 60mb down and 30 mb up! Had the new comcast x1 set up and the tech couldn't believe the speeds he was getting.

Needless to say I am extremely happy with the current set up but as there is a strange latency going on mainly in my work program. So now I am in need of an immediate mobo to swap out. The only motherboard I could find was Gigabyte Motherboard Intel Z77 LGA-1155 Micro ATX DDR3 GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP. So I am having that overnighted. If that doesn't work then I might have to get a new cpu. So if that is the case then I will be changing sockets just to have a wider selection of performance motherboards.

If this motherboard fixes the issue then I will order the ASUS V GENE if anyone gets it back in stock.

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
you are correct matty a maximus v gene to be exact my cc is just as responsive as with the stock mobo. the problem with the cc is you are gonna have to find a version that isnt looking for the factory mobo. took me 2 hours to find one. but just go down the list on the dell site under your service tag number and you will find one. straight up drop in. although your gonna need some adaptor cables for the power button and those wires. ill find it and post it back up. or i think theres a post named my modded r3 that shows them. easy as pie to do

tgorfid

Apr 16, 2014
Florida
The ASUS Maximus V GENE was the one I was trying to get but like I said I need one now since I work from home. Does anyone know who has one available? Amazon, tiger direct, eBay, new egg and all other online distributors were out of stock. If the new board fixes the issue I will keep an eye out and pick up the V GENE when it is available. Much too sweet of a motherboard to keep hidden so it would make me want to mod my chassis with a panel view. I have been thinking of ways to make the panels have a wolverine claw mark going diagonally from the back top to the front right above the led panel. The add some light strips to the top and use some small strips of angled mirrors to reflect the light out. But that is just a thought...

MattyB , I feel for you bro. That's gotta hurt with speeds that low. I have 100mb service and even get 25mb/s on my Xbox one which is downstairs on the wireless. Have an Alienware X51 next to the tv that we got for my wife's computer since I don't let her on mine! Funny how she didn't realize that it's very close to the TV and with a 15ft HDMI Batman Arkham Origins looks awesome on the 55' LG. But for her X51 I was using the usb linksys 1200 or 900, can't remember, and was only getting 15mb up and maybe 5 mb down. Installed a netgear powerline av 200 and to my surprise got up to 50mb up and 20 down.

I hope a better providered comes along soon because with those speeds it's like driving a Ferrari in a school zone!

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
new egg dont even have it listed for our form factor anymore. honestly id just bite the bullet and go hazwell. my 3770k is great but sometimes you have to update even when you dont wanna. i was forced to do the swap when i found out that my factory mobo wouldnt post with the ivy cpu. if dell would allow bios updates paste A06 for the r3 im sure it would have worked. plus i wanted unlocked bios. the maximus v gene is a great board but theres features i dont even use on it. my next build might use something differant then asus. still on the fence though

tgorfid

Apr 16, 2014
Florida
It might happen seeing as I just installed the new motherboard and it was still doing the same thing. The other bad news is that only after 2 boots the new motherboard seems to have died already. It was a Gigabyte Motherboard . Intel Z77 LGA-1155 Micro ATX DDR3 GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP. Loaded everything up, installed all the new drivers and it was working fine. Rebooted twice, once after initial driver installation and once more after a bios update. It started fine after the bios update so I started my work program and the program was still hanging and freezing for 5 to 10 Seconds. The issue I am having is that when I am typing the mouse pointing flashes the Windows save or prosessing circle like when it's processing. Then when I change forms in my work program or save out of an addendum the program hangs and flashes. Only started doing this last week so I know something is up. I uninstalled and reinstalled it multiple times and even had the tech support remote in and install the program 3 times. No this doesn't happen as bad with other programs but my work program takes up quite a bit of resources so it shows there the worst.

I have tried formatting the hard drive, reinstalling Windows, installed a new motherboard, removed and swapped video cards. Would a bad power supply have any affect on a program or would it mainly have an affect on the hardware? I tested my SSD and it passed with perfect health per the Corsair toolbox and I took it to tiger direct , they said the read and right speed was still great. Now I have to reinstall the old motherboard to be positive the new one died already.

So does anyone have any suggestions? Cpu, GPU, psu, bad memory (memory passed all tests) .