Aurora R3 video and sound problems

nvr2miss

Hello all,
New to the forums looking for some advise.

So here's what is happening currently. Today I plugged in my headphones and they wouldn't work on the front mic/speaker ports. I don't have an aftermarket sound card, just whats on the motherboard.

When that happened (no sound headphones), my video card went full throttle on the fan speed to 100%. Video card is a PNY GTX 660Ti.

The video card is only running at 31c according to Precision X. I'm unable to throttle down the video card and get the headphones working again. When the headphones are plugged into the ports up front the screen recognizes the headphones, but again they don't work. I did check the headphones on my other computer and they work without issue.

Looking for some suggestions to diagnose and fix this.

Thanks.

Alienware Aurora R3 // Core i7 2600K@ 3.9 // 16gb DDR3 1600 // PNY GTX 660ti

SDDAWG

Have you tried updating the driver's for the card? Also when was the last time you blew the card out with some air. If it has been awhile, remove the card and clear out any dust. This will also allow you to reseat the card and ensure the coneections are good. Do you have a set of USB headphones? That is what I use and I ask to see if maybe the front connnectors are giving u a problem.

nvr2miss

I'm running the most current driver I think which is 327.23. I did remove the card as suggested and cleaned all dust from the system, but the fans on video card still remain 100% throttle. What's strange is I've always had issues with the usb headphones so I've used the 3.5mm which haven't given me any issues until now. Alienware replaced the motherboard a few months back when I still had a warranty due to issues with the command center causing all the fans to go haywire. They uninstalled and reinstalled the command center so many times I couldn't keep up with the amount.

Someone mentioned maybe uninstalling the realtek sound drivers and reinstalling, I haven't done that yet. My sound works great on everything else except headphones, I do have the sound hooked up via HDMI. I'm open to suggestions.

SDDAWG

Hmm, almost sounds like one of the wires came off the mother board for the 3.5mm jacks. If sound works on speakers then the driver's should be good. Did you open the volume mixer and see if it is showing the head phones connected? Also see if under sound it shows the headphones. If you click on the up button on the right hand side of the toolbar, you will see the realtek emblem, right clcik on it to check the ablve items.

The video card, are u running precision X? What is the temp for the card? If it is over 85C you might have a bad card. I know the max is 97c but thats way to high for me. Is the card still under warranty?