Aurora R4 ALX case with 8700k and RTX 2080ti

LukeG310

Hi everyone,

With the now empty Aurora R4 ALX case I went ahead and got myself some parts to build a modern gaming rig. I got the following parts:

-EVGA Z370 Micro
-USB Hub to give more USB2 connections since EVGA only offered 1 connection. I needed 3 for MIO, 1 AIO cooler, front USB.
-Intel 8700k
-Corsair H80i V2 AIO cooler
-16gb DDR4 3200 RAM
-512GB NVME
-4 250gb HD in RAID 0
-Originally had an ASUS ROG GTX 1070ti but upgraded to ASUS ROG RTX 2080ti
-Corsair SP120 fan
-Cage for SP120 fan and dust filter
-2 80mm Dell Fans from old Dell Optiplex 760s.
-CPU AIO Pump adapter by Cass-Olé so it can work with the MIO board

Parts Kept:
RAM fan was switch to go push air out.
Kept PSU

Parts Removed:
Alienware motherboard
Alienware AIO cooler
Alienware RAM
Alienware GTX 580

Here are some images of my build prior the RTX. Note the Graphics shroud did not fit with my 1070ti, I had to remove it unfortunately due to the card being too long and bulky. the RTX is even bulkier so there was no way I can get the shroud to work. Those who want to still use the shroud will need reference cards with blower style configurations.

I set the two Dell fans and ram cooler to blow the air out of the top vents. I used double sided adhesive tape meant to hold 10 pounds so these guys wont go anywhere. On the right hand side you can see the USB hub with its connections for the MIO, AIO usb pump, USB 2.0. The top right pin connector has the adapter that I got from Cass Ole and is going to the corsair pump. the other 3 fan headers have the top fans.

I removed the DVD drive and other place holders so I can put a Corsair 120SP fan and its housing. I put a dust filter to prevent the case from getting dust.

Attachments

LukeG310

Here is the frontal view of my case. All I had to do was slide the cage in there and it stayed with no problem of it moving anywhere.

I removed my old 1070ti and put the RTX on the table. As you can see this is a massive card!!!

The RTX is connected and ready for action!

Mod complete!

I love my case but want to find a way of fitting a 240mm or 360mm radiator. There is youtuber named
Zozo Nox who inspired me to modify my case and he was able to do an awesome mod.

Only thing is I don't have tools nor have done anything exotic like that before with metal. I guess there is a first for everything!

Zozo

I like how you've kept the internal layout as stock as you have. As you know, i changed the layout completely on mine in order to try and minimize cable clutter. But to be honest the way the dellienware people did it was probably the best way to do it considering the internal design of the chassis. :)

LukeG310

Welcome to the forum! You should share some pictures of your completed build. I think my ultimate goal would be to mirror your layout and fit a bigger radiator and a modular psu

MattyB

Staff member
It's good to see people still building these. I loved my old R4 ALX case. I modded mine with a clear window in the side panel (was a pain to do) and a custom water loop. Shouldn't have sold it.

Jeez, just took a look at my signature bar. Having kids ruined my budget for PC parts.....

LukeG310

Getting married also took a deep cut in my PC parts spending haha. I saw couple R4 ALX on eBay if you happen to be looking!

MattyB

Staff member
I’m in Australia so the shipping would kill me. It’s tempting though. Very hard to get empty cases down here

LukeG310

I bet shipping would be just as much as the case itself. I set some alerts on Craigslist and got lucky on my ALX. I had to drive some ways but totally worth it!

MattyB

Staff member
My dream is an original Area-51 ALX. I see some guy in the US is selling one of the newer Area-51's for $199 but the old one was a beast