Aurora R4 Empty Chassis - Alienware Aurora R7 Z370 or Z390 Aftermarket Motherboard Upgrade!?

R4B23

Hi Folks Do you guys think its a better choice to go with Alienware R7 z370 motherboard upgrade or an aftermarket Asus or Gigabyte z370 or z390 Motherboard upgrade? Any help and opinions would be appreciated.

Cass-Olé

On page 2 here https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/New-Aurora-R9-1st-Look/m-p/7357909#M12355 I talked about the Aurora R5-R9 boards having a 'proprietary' front panel header (on-off, HDD LED PwrOn LED, Reset etc), also discussed here page10 HanoverB https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Experience-of-Buying-an-Aurora-R8/td-p/7348259/page/10 ... those socket 1151 Aurora boards do not have a removable rear I/O shield trim plate either

With an aftermarket board you might get a warranty & a better 'unlocked Bios', you can run 9700k 9900k (the Aurora R7 tops out at 8700k due to no Bios update for Gen9 so you'd need or want the R8 R3FWM board instead now or later), USB2.0 headers for your MIO board (vs none), 8pin CPU header (vs 4pin), maybe other reasons to go aftrmrkt; I'd prolly get an Asus & call it a day

The original R4 mthrbrd front panel diagram is below, using a typical 5x5 10pin Dupont; some Asus boards use a 10x10 20pin Dupont shown in 2nd diagram (you'd slip your 5x5 over the left-half since it appears to be same setup as original) ; browse new mthrbrd owner manual (paper or online PDF), check it against the original wiring diagram: it'll either be identical plug n play -or- you'll need to rewire / change the terminals around to make it compatible w/ new board's front panel needs
JFP1 R1.jpg z170 Deluxe fp1.jpg

Last edited:

R4B23

On page 2 here https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/New-Aurora-R9-1st-Look/m-p/7357909#M12355 I talked about the Aurora R5-R9 boards having a 'proprietary' front panel header (on-off, HDD LED PwrOn LED, Reset etc), also discussed here page10 HanoverB https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Experience-of-Buying-an-Aurora-R8/td-p/7348259/page/10 ... those socket 1151 Aurora boards do not have a removable rear I/O shield trim plate either

With an aftermarket board you might get a warranty & a better 'unlocked Bios', you can run 9700k 9900k (the Aurora R7 tops out at 8700k due to no Bios update for Gen9 so you'd need or want the R8 R3FWM board instead now or later), USB2.0 headers for your MIO board (vs none), 8pin CPU header (vs 4pin), maybe other reasons to go aftrmrkt; I'd prolly get an Asus & call it a day

The original R4 mthrbrd front panel diagram is below, using a typical 5x5 10pin Dupont; some Asus boards use a 10x10 20pin Dupont shown in 2nd diagram (you'd slip your 5x5 over the left-half since it appears to be same setup as original) ; browse new mthrbrd owner manual (paper or online PDF), check it against the original wiring diagram: it'll either be identical plug n play -or- you'll need to rewire / change the terminals around to make it compatible w/ new board's front panel needs
View attachment 2803 View attachment 2805
Hey bro thank you so much for your time and effort You put in to reply with this infomation and pictures. One last thing besides Asus would you put Gigabyte over MSI or Asrock in term of Quality, durability, Endurance?

Cass-Olé

Asus MSI Giga AsRock is how I rank them, but it depends on the board in particular or in question I suppose, which is why a good online review or head-to-head can help pro v con etc; the R4 Alienboard is by MSI; I have Asus MSI AsRock here & my brother has a Giga 7700k which is decent. Gamers Nexus uTube when they do a board breakdown analysis by Buildzoid, u can get a feel for whether a brand is using good mediocre or questionable parts then extrapolate from there; I usually don't make recommendations on mthrbrds or GRFX or PSUs I haven't owned before since it can get subjective, but if u narrow down what u might want & dig a little online u can prolly get a decent review to help decide. In the end, if a board doesn't please u - sell it - & try another brand or model instead, I hope that helps

R4B23

Asus MSI Giga AsRock is how I rank them, but it depends on the board in particular or in question I suppose, which is why a good online review or head-to-head can help pro v con etc; the R4 Alienboard is by MSI; I have Asus MSI AsRock here & my brother has a Giga 7700k which is decent. Gamers Nexus uTube when they do a board breakdown analysis by Buildzoid, u can get a feel for whether a brand is using good mediocre or questionable parts then extrapolate from there; I usually don't make recommendations on mthrbrds or GRFX or PSUs I haven't owned before since it can get subjective, but if u narrow down what u might want & dig a little online u can prolly get a decent review to help decide. In the end, if a board doesn't please u - sell it - & try another brand or model instead, I hope that helps
Fair enough I learned alot Thanks to you Cass-Olé It was great chatting with you mate and wishing all the best ✌