Aurora R4 motherboard dimensions

Are you going to swap out the mATX board Matty?
I am interested as the original AW mobo has not got the most fantastic bios for o/c... I was looking at the Asus Maximus V GENE as a replacement.
On board high quality sound card etc and be still able to go to quad 690!!!

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Are you going to swap out the mATX board Matty?
I am interested as the original AW mobo has not got the most fantastic bios for o/c... I was looking at the Asus Maximus V GENE as a replacement.
On board high quality sound card etc and be still able to go to quad 690!!!

Yeah that's the plan. The Maximus is on the top of my list too but I believe it's just for the socket 1155 CPUs. I was going to put it in my older Aurora with a i7-3770K CPU. You'll need a motherboard that supports socket 2011 CPUs.

you cant go quad anything in an aurora case or is the 690 a duel gpu card

The 690 is a dual card. It's 2 680's joined up. I have never understood though why people say 'quad 690' when its still only 2 cards. It should be more like quad 680's or dual 690's. Am I crazy??

Dual 690 have a total of four (quad) cores? sounds better haha!

I have read that two GTX 690s in SLI gives less than 40% gain! Not really worth it..
nVidia haven't really worked it out as well as AMD Crossfire (hate to say it).

I would like to change mobos one day, the board i mentioned is for 2011, I am just worried if i take it apart I might not get it back together again..

Kinda like my dads lawnmower when I was 14!!

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah that seems like a lot of extra cash for very little gain!

Where can you find the Maximus V Gene for a 2011? Everything I see is for the 1155. I don't think you'll have any troubles replacing it. I would say that most mobos have things labelled pretty well and the connectors should be in roughly the same places as your old one. Take lots of pictures before removing your old one! I managed to take out and replace my Aurora mobo without any problems.

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
Yeah that's the plan. The Maximus is on the top of my list too but I believe it's just for the socket 1155 CPUs. I was going to put it in my older Aurora with a i7-3770K CPU. You'll need a motherboard that supports socket 2011 CPUs.

The 690 is a dual card. It's 2 680's joined up. I have never understood though why people say 'quad 690' when its still only 2 cards. It should be more like quad 680's or dual 690's. Am I crazy??
its like running to 6990s. since they are 2 6970s on one card basically your running quadfire.

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
Dual 690 have a total of four (quad) cores? sounds better haha!

I have read that two GTX 690s in SLI gives less than 40% gain! Not really worth it..
nVidia haven't really worked it out as well as AMD Crossfire (hate to say it).

I would like to change mobos one day, the board i mentioned is for 2011, I am just worried if i take it apart I might not get it back together again..

Kinda like my dads lawnmower when I was 14!!
sorry man didnt mean to come in and say ha ha you cant do that. ive fallen behind on nvidia cards man they are to rich for me. plus im stickin with radeon from here on out due to they have had more luck with crossfire and eyefinity. but to run 2 690s wouldnt that require more power the the stock 875 in an aurora?

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Did I mention I can't read proper? :p

That's cool. I'll forgive you this time :D

its like running to 6990s. since they are 2 6970s on one card basically your running quadfire.

I agree that its quad SLI since there are basically 4 680's running. The thing that gets me is that people say "Quad 690 SLI" when there are technically only 2 690's but there are 4 680s. I'm a stickler for details :p

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
I agree that its quad SLI since there are basically 4 680's running. The thing that gets me is that people say "Quad 690 SLI" when there are technically only 2 690's but there are 4 680s. I'm a stickler for details :p[/QUOTE]ah gotcha he he yea i always looked at the 6990s as just a duel gpu when crossfired since it is only one card lol diesel brought that up to me that i could trifire with one 6990 and one 6970 he he