Aurora R4 Motherboard replaced....

Drew439

So I got the typical bricked motherboard from the dell bios update( aprox 1.5yr ago) I just installed a refurbished motherboard same CN-07JNHO info stickers. Started machine and upon loading i got the "reboot & select proper boot device" request. I rebooted w/ f12 and got into the bios page. It had the hard drive to boot listed 4th so i moved it to 1st..saved reboot same thing. Double checked my hard drive wires were plugged in 3rd try ..same results. Did a ePSA check and got an error code 2000-0142 as hard drive 0...like it's not finding it? I'll post pics to assist and any help is appreciated!

History***
Prior to sticking the couple thousand dollar paper weight in the closet...it would give the beep codes during start up and never get to the desk top screen...i did a few hard reset bios with swaping the clips on the pins / changed MB battery ect and it would sometimes fire up and be playable until it got shut off from power outage or an update ect and during boot up was always the problem with loading bios. I got that to last for a few months...until finally nothing helped it load the bios.

Alienware Aurora R4
service tag# CSFTMS1(refurbished MB) (old MB# 5H7WLS1)
i7-3930K CPU 3.20GHz
windows 7 64bit OP

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 10

Drew439

update*

I moved the hard drive to another slot..and got the same results. So then I switched the boot up mode from Legacy to UEFI and it did load up everything and is working atm. It appears to be noticeably slower though. Slower i mean when you try to open programs ect it has to "think" a while 1st. So I guess that my hard drive is not bad and the replacement motherboard is good. There was a "check up" that poped up and everything except the hard drive seemed ok.

I found this post so i'll try to dig further when i can :

What it is saying is that you have a bad sector in the hard drive. You might or might not have a bad sector. Dell pc check up center is not always reliable. If this were my pc, I would bring up check disc and make sure you put the check marks in to fix errors and in the scan for and attemp recovery of bad sectors. Run that. If there are bad sectors in the hard drive it will tell you.
To find the check disc, go to your start menu, computer, local disc c and right click on c drive. Click on properties, A new box will appear and click the tools tab at the top. Click on error checking, put the two check marks in, and finally start. A new box will ask if you want to schedule disc check, click this.
When it finishes, it will tell you if there are bad sectors. Bad sectors are areas that have gone bad in the hard drive. You may need to replace your hard drive if this is true. If it finds no bad sectors you will know that the Dell check up gave you a false reading, and you will not need a new hard drive.

Attachments

• 20160713_181407.jpg
    20160713_181407.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 5

Drew439

Ya i keep getting hard drive bad messages. Its actually working, just slowly so when i replace it ill update if thats the fix. Thnx for comments/info peeps! It just is ridiculous that a $3k machine would have a ruined motherboard & hard drive in under 2yrs of use but ive learned my lesson on the big name brands and it being barely out of warranty with big fails with no dell help imagine that. I guess i should thank dell for being the way they are or i'd still be a nieve fool relying on the big names to have solid machines and the more you soend the more they'll want to help you...LoL. never again* have local shops build you one if you can't do it yourself. Thnx dell for helping me learn how to build my own for a 3rd of the cost! >=]

timberwolfsc

i only do bios updates from a DOS enviroment. ive seen too many horror stories of bricked MBs from windows type applications no matter the brand.