Aurora R5 motherboard inside Aurora R5 Chassis

amanacid

I wanted to ask on this forum if it was possible to have an R5 motherboard put into the chassis of an older R4

Would the lights work?

Will Alienware Command Center also work?

Also I am going to be painting it in a nice light graphite colour on the sides to set off,if you want to see pics of progress I do have a new Instagram account for this pc @alx.build

I don’t see how it wouldn’t work considering it’s still Alienware hardware and the only visible way to connect the mio board is through the front panel header,I know the case works as I put a temporary board in and it fired to life in an ugly colour combo which must be changed

I will also be running for now a Pentium G4400 for testing purposes

the board I plan to use is an Alienware IPSKL-SC

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED :)

MattyB

The motherboard and daughtboard are both Alienware but obviously different generations. There is a thread on here showing how to get a non-alienware board to work in an older Aurora (up to R4). It should also work with your R5 board. I can't see why it would be a different process that a third party board.
You'll need that R4 daughterboard though.

amanacid

Is this what your talking about by any chance? It has all the original components except the board and PSU which I will be putting in myself but I wanted the R5 Board for style points

Attachments

• 4FBD88F5-55FC-45A0-B304-569D1160E6DC.jpeg
    4FBD88F5-55FC-45A0-B304-569D1160E6DC.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 4

amanacid

So I've gone and ordered the board in hopes that it will work but another question I've got to ask about the actual chassis

Can I install fans in the top of the case,it looks like there could be mounts in the top honeycomb holes but I don't know as I want maximum airflow with this pc

MattyB

I'm not sure sorry, it's been a long time since I've had one of them. I don't remember there being mounts at the top but I could be wrong.