Aurora R7 PSU Upgrade/Dual GPU

sammyo

Jul 12, 2018
Hi,

I am an owner of an Aurora R7 and have a few questions. First, I am wanting to get a dual GPU (most likely adding a 1080 Ti to my current 1080). I was wondering if I need to upgrade my PSU. I am new to like computer hardware stuff so I do not know, but I have the 460 PSU. On a note about that, if I want to ugprade (well need to), am I able to replace it, how, and with what type of PSU (do I have to use alienware or can I use any brand). If I can use any, recommendations?

I know I ask a lot of things but feel free to answer whatever,

Sam

Aug 31, 2018
Hi,

I am an owner of an Aurora R7 and have a few questions. First, I am wanting to get a dual GPU (most likely adding a 1080 Ti to my current 1080). I was wondering if I need to upgrade my PSU. I am new to like computer hardware stuff so I do not know, but I have the 460 PSU. On a note about that, if I want to ugprade (well need to), am I able to replace it, how, and with what type of PSU (do I have to use alienware or can I use any brand). If I can use any, recommendations?

I know I ask a lot of things but feel free to answer whatever,

Sam
I upgraded my 460W power supply with a Seasonic Focus 750W. I bought it at Amazon for $114 (plus a $10 rebate I have to submit). It was easy to replace. However - if your Aurora has a slimline DVD drive you will need to buy a 15-pin SATA power to slimline SATA power cable ($8). You’ll have some leftover cables, but that’s okay. Also, if you’re planning on using an SLI bridge, you’ll need a 1 slot bridge, and they’re hard to find ($20 on Amazon for me). I swapped out power supplies and am running the original Dell GTX170 with an eVga GTX 1070 I bought a year ago. They’re both connected via the aforementioned $20 SLI bridge. One last thing - Alienware provided a black plastic spacer or stabilizer that connects the power supply cage, videocard and case to, I guess, hold the videocard in place and offer a cable routing path. You don’t need it, and if your GTX1080 is too tall - my eVga card is just a little too tall - the power supply cage won’t close. Ditch the plastic spacer/stabilizer and you’ll be fine.

Goid luck with your mod!