Aurora to Area 51 7500 Conversion Build

Andrew_J994

Hello Everyone, today I have finally managed to get a hold of a Predator 2 case!
For this build, I want to keep it classic with a modern GPU. That being said, I need some parts to begin work. My case is missing a single Optical Bay cover, a side panel connector,
SidePanel.PNG
and an active, or passive daughter card. Additionally, I'm not sure what these IDE cables connect to, so advice on that is appreciated.
IDEDaughterCard.PNG
As for internals I will be sourcing:
- Asus P6T Deluxe x58 Motherboard.
- Radeon R9 390.
- Intel Core i7 920 (Later upgrade to 990x)
- Seagate 1TB Hard disk.
- PowerSpec 650 Watt Semi-Modular Power Supply.
- Cooler Master 212 EVO.
- 12GB Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 RAM.
- A daughter card for the case.
Thanks for viewing, any help or suggestions are appreciated.
-Andrew

Last edited:

Andrew_J994

Updates! I have installed some temporary components until they sell. Gigabyte Board, AMD FX 4350, 8GB Gskill Ripjaws, and Nvidia GT620.
IMG-8795.jpg
Tonight I will try and source a power supply and hard disk.
More Pics of Case:
IMG-8796.jpgIMG-8797.jpgIMG-8798.jpg
Additionally, I have found out the what the IDE cables connect to, so I'm asking for a parts request for the AlienFX Mother card, and a side panel contact connector, If you have a spare I am willing to pay! I plan on sourcing a passive daughter card on eBay that I came across from an old thread created by Eakers.
Until then the build will be put on hold for now.
Thanks, -Andrew

Andrew_J994

Development on the AlienFX situation!

I have discovered a product that takes the LED 4 pin connectors and converts them to RGB Connectors. I'm thinking if I find a different adapter with multiple 4 pin connections or use multiple and some sort of rgb header splitter/hub I can power the lights and control them using software. This would eliminate the use of a ELC Base and Daughter card and if it works, would allow other predator 2 owners to use their lights without a ELC/Card combo also eliminating the use of the IDE adapters.
ACAAC49E-8275-4E94-8AED-16FA77DAFA8E.jpeg27F0A5D2-691B-4BE2-8172-D9A7114057AB.jpeg
Edit: Found an RGB Controller and an RGB splitter. My plan is to use the splitters to replace the 4 pin connectors & wires (In the case) and have them converted to 1 single wire and use the RGB Controller to connect the splitters and replace the IDE Cables As well as the ELC/Card Combo.
508956_814996_01_front_zoom.jpg51eJ6hSumNL._SL1200_.jpg
Also, my Radeon R9 290 Arrived here in the mail today, perfect! Time to test, annnnnnnnnd its gone. At first, I thought the card was broken after testing it in two different PCs, However, after fiddling with monitor settings, It worked fine.

Hmmm, after some post-anger thought I narrowed down the problem to two components, the motherboard and the power supply.

After using this Mobo, Ram, and CPU combo in my Predator 1, I knew the parts were functional and that left me with the power supply.

I bought the PSU from Micro Center late at night before closing so I didn't have time to inspect (or even think about it due to being tired). When I got home I un-boxed it and discovered a broken 4-pin CPU connector, didn't think much of it due to my board and future board only require a single 4-pin CPU connector. But after seeing the card fire up in my R4 ALX and knowing the Mobo Combo was in working condition, the answer was obvious. Tomorrow I will return the PSU and grab some splitters, as well as order the RGB Controller and will update after that.
Thanks, -Andrew

Last edited:
In addition to the Mother and Daughter cards, you will also need a 4 pin to 3 single pin connector (or 2pin?) depending on REV of the board I believe. I bought a Pred 2.0 case missing the cable from the AlienFX card to the Motherboard, and missing the ribbon from the FX card to the side connector.

I am intrigued by your plan to use that SATA RGB Controller, it looks like you can get 8 LEDs working off of one. I wonder if the system will support 2 of those main controllers.

Have you ordered and tried these yet?

Andrew_J994

Haven't ordered the SATA Controller yet due to budget constraints. I just picked up an Area 51 R1 so budgets gonna be tight for a while. I do plan on ordering just a controller, then powering a single LED as proof of concept, so if it works at least we'll know.

Also had to RMA the power supply for the build so its gonna be a week or two until I can get another.

Could probably order the RGB controller tonight, then use a seperate power supply and jump the 24 pin to provide power to SATA or unscrew 2 LED boards to test, plug the controller into a working PC, and attempting to power the LED board that way, just to see if it even works before wasting money on components that wont work together.

Nice Case! I really want one of those, missed out on 2 in my area over the summer (MA/NH). There is a guy in Maine selling one for $2400 with an AMD 3900x system. Same guy also has a cyborg green Predator 2.0 machine he bought from another guy selling for $250, now asking $450... He didn't even take new pictures!. UGH

Edit** My 2nd Predator 2.0 Case is missing the cable that feeds the Power and HD Activity to the AlienFX board and the Ribbon Cable to feed the panel connector board. The panel connector board pins are pretty roughed up. Trying to decide if it's even worth fixing at this point. Bought it to cut up the internals to support a 360mm Radiator.

here's my system:
IMG_20190502_221203.jpgIMG_20191008_211647.jpg

I just did a test for you. I used an AIGO DR12 Icestorm (2018 or 2017 version) and plugged one of the Alienhead LEDs from the door panel into the LED port of the unit. It lights up an extremely bright color, but doesn't respond to color changes. Might save you the hassle or trying a different controller. I don't think it will work as you're intending, must be different technology controlling the color of the LEDs. Might get lucky with a different controller now that I think about it, but this is a lot older tech than the new stuff that's out.

IMG_20191008_222728.jpg

Last edited:

Andrew_J994

Is your LED controller run by on-board controls or through software? Might be a software incompatibility if so, but If its on-board I dont see why it wouldnt change since the Passive card is also controlled through on-board switches. Kind of at a dead end here due to no market for Mother cards, I can source a daughter card but is useless without the mother card.
Thanks, -Andrew

The Board uses a remote control. You can change colors using it, or by wiring one of the connectors to the reset switch of the case if it has one, it will cycle through the colors.

I see your point, the only option is to find another case with those components. I have some of these from my 2nd predator case, but they aren't in the best of shape, and cables are missing.

Mother Card has burnt capacitor from the 2 pin power connector that is a bit of a mystery. I tested the board with my working system and the LEDs I plugged in did in fact function so I do not believe the board is fried.

The side panel connector is damaged, the pins are bent but in tact and may be repairable. What is missing is the connector for the motherboard and the ribbon cable from the mother card to the side panel connector.

I believe the small 4 pin to 3 single pin cable for the power and HD status LEDs could easily be replicated using a dupont connector kit off of amazon for $20-$40. then the ribbon cable is probably a standard 34 pin connector using only 10 pins, I've been tempted to grab a standard 34 pin ribbon cable to test for functionality. I just haven't had time to mess with it.

Andrew_J994

Are those damaged parts spares? I would be interested if you are willing to sell, even to attempt repair.

At this point there are no more P2 cases near me. I saw an Area 51 P2 last week for sale and the next morning I went to message the guy it was already sold, only $150 all original components too! Even had a dream about finding one at a local convience store near me, and harvesting the side panel connector & FX lighting kit... talk about weird huh?

Dell remanufactured Predator 2s for their 20 year giveaway but I doubt that they have spare parts like that lying around, if they even reused old parts. And even if they did would they sell to the public, even after demand for more legacy cases like the P1, P2 and others?

I feel that It would be wise for Dell/Alienware to still support parts for at least collectors or even make re-productions, It would make financial sense for them and also improve their customer's experience with them, making them more likely to purchase from Dell again.

Just rambling on at this point, seems like the only other option is to buy a scrap case (if I can find one). Or hope that some day I do find the base card. if I'd known they were impossible to find, I wouldnt have bought the case to begin with.

Are those damaged parts spares? I would be interested if you are willing to sell, even to attempt repair.

At this point there are no more P2 cases near me. I saw an Area 51 P2 last week for sale and the next morning I went to message the guy it was already sold, only $150 all original components too! Even had a dream about finding one at a local convience store near me, and harvesting the side panel connector & FX lighting kit... talk about weird huh?

Dell remanufactured Predator 2s for their 20 year giveaway but I doubt that they have spare parts like that lying around, if they even reused old parts. And even if they did would they sell to the public, even after demand for more legacy cases like the P1, P2 and others?

I feel that It would be wise for Dell/Alienware to still support parts for at least collectors or even make re-productions, It would make financial sense for them and also improve their customer's experience with them, making them more likely to purchase from Dell again.

Just rambling on at this point, seems like the only other option is to buy a scrap case (if I can find one). Or hope that some day I do find the base card. if I'd known they were impossible to find, I wouldnt have bought the case to begin with.
I'm not sure if they're for sale, I'm torn, they are scarce to come by, but the 2nd case needs work, and it needs work(and money to get these parts working) for a case I don't particularly care about, since all I really purchased it for was the chassis. Maybe send me a private message to discuss further?

Andrew_J994

I'm not sure if they're for sale, I'm torn, they are scarce to come by, but the 2nd case needs work, and it needs work(and money to get these parts working) for a case I don't particularly care about, since all I really purchased it for was the chassis. Maybe send me a private message to discuss further?
PM’d

Andrew_J994

Parts are arriving on Tuesday! Also, in the mean time, I want to paint the interior black and cable clips white. And, does anyone know how to remove this optical install piece?
2E5C6C14-184A-4E0B-AAB5-7651EAAEAD2C.jpeg
Edit: Figured it out. Case is ready for paint.

Last edited:

Andrew_J994

E90ED83E-DE86-42E5-A190-B175257DB5C3.jpeg55310B17-0DC5-4223-AC98-EEA62944B062.jpeg
Paint came out amazing! Went with a hammered black for the case and a satin white for cable clips. More to come on tuesday!