AW 17 turns off due to temps.

jbomb7124

As title says I have an alienware 17 "2014" model with an I7 4710mq. It also has a 860m. While playing eso. It clicked Loud and turned off 2 times on me yesterday. Temps were about 85c. And so after running a fresh install of windows 8.1 and updates. I ran a stress test and was seeing temps in the mid to high 80c range. After it clicked off one more time I called dell. They did there thing high jacked my laptop ran the same tests and said my heat sick and fan were not working properly. They sent a guy to my home to replace it today " very happy with the service " but after the guy replaced the parts I ran the stress test again and it clicked off again so he called dell as well and they had him check deeper into the cpu. He did not find any problems. So now dell is overnight shipping me a box and then my laptop is being sent back for a full inspection by dell/alienware. Anyone have any experience with this b4? How long till my laptop is back ? If they can't find anything and the service tech that came to my house didn't see anything yet witnessed my laptop cut out and shut down with the loud click what is likely to be done ? Just concerned due to the fact it is 11 months old only has 30 days of warrantee left and I don't want a hinky semi broken pc back with the service ending soon.

Falkwulf

Its either a thermal fuse or the CPU Heat system is malfunctioning, it may be a week before you get it back, when it gets back run the stress tests and put it through its paces, if it gets hotter than 70 degrees celcius they didnt fix it and call them up and make them RMA it under warranty

jbomb7124

Got an email today stating that a component required to repair my laptop is currently not in stock .. wth. Don't know exactly what it is but my repair has been put on hold.

jbomb7124

Nope. I'll be calling today. As there is not much info on my email or on the repair tracking part of the website.

jbomb7124

Was told yesterday that the part would be back in stock ..yesterday. no word on what the part is but they expect it to take 2 days to repair.. I'll be working 7 12 hr shifts for the next week so won't have time to use it if it comes back this week anyway. Would be nice to be updated on what the diagnosis is though

jbomb7124

My baby is coming home !! Checked status today and my 17 has shipped out and is on an overnight flight home from Huston! Can't wait to find out what was found and put her through her paces.

Falkwulf

Get her home and put it through its paces. 3dmark it and bench it to the max

jbomb7124

Turns out they replaced the motherboard. Have not had time to do much other then install one game. Seems to be running just fine now. I do however have a post issue which I'll look into more this weekend.
When I first turn on my laptop instead of just doing the alienware post and starting windows it gives me another option to set up a raid array which I already have one... this may be due to me installing a ssd before ever turning it on.. or a bios setting I need to change. Like I said I have not had much time to mess with it. I'll post my results here for anyone that comes here looking for an answer. As far as performance goes it seems like she's back to her old self.