AW17 G card fail (again)

Nathan

Sadly this isn't the first time I have to write a similar post. Over the last 36 hours I have suffered with games blacking out, driver display errors & blue screen crash dumps. I can function on Intel graphics but not my g card all of a sudden. My rig is AW17 r5, I use windows 7. I have a nvidia 880m card and I allow the Geo force experience client select the best optimization for the games I play, So this means high settings plus. The games I like to play are not graphically demanding - WoW, WoT and FFxiv ( admitedly is more demanding but i havent played since I got it back from AW engineers in January with an identical problem). The previous history In the last 10 months is this happened In October last year and January this year. I really look after my machine. Dust free, wiped down regulary and correctly, It remains on the same wooden table which doesn't get hot. It's not left In direct sunlight. The fact this is now the 3rd time this has happened makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong. The last fix was resolved with replacing the mother board, GPU & CPU. In that time it has been fine. I have been playing WoW and WoT exclusively in that time on high setting graphics with no issues. I have also watched a couple of movies too. No issues. Then mid game (WoW) it failed. I am at a loss to understand why is this cycle is repeating. I am losing all confidence with my machine and the Brand. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Nathan

update - So as usual the AW staff were really helpful but couldn't fix the machine remotely. It was taken to the depot for repairs
(I think my rig has it's own table there now as it's a regular visitor). I received my rig back on Wednesday and guess what...?
It still doesn't work ... le sigh
AW are sending a tech to my house on Monday with more replacement parts. fingers crossed x

Nick

Are you running Windows 7, 8.1 or 10? I've had some problems with Windows 10 and my graphics card but it was fixed by a driver update through the NVidia GeForce Experience.

Nathan

I run Windows 7 Ultimate - and I use geforce Experience too. This has caused temporary issues when installing latest drivers and in the past I have had to back date the drivers, I am currently using 880m card and 332.70 driver as recommended. I was warned by one of the AW techs that He personally had some issues with Windows 10 and He had to reinstall it.
Currently - my machine appears good now following an engineer from Dell visiting my home - although I note the colours on the AW FX power button and lead are frozen and cannot be changed. At least I can game again!

Nick

That's quite bizarre. I've been running Windows 10 on my Alienware with no issues. I would be confident that NVidia and AMD have ironed out the kinks with Windows 10 drivers now.

As far as your issue is concerned, it's good to hear that the issues with the video card is resolved, though the coloured LED lighting on the buttons are frozen would make me say don't just settle until they've fixes all the issues. You paid good money for your machine, you should settle for nothing less than perfection.