AW17R3 on its way... first time AW owner!

Bama78

Hi folks. Glad to be here! Hope yall are doing great!
As stated in the title, this is my first AW. It should be here by tomorrow afternoon(not soon enough)!
I'm very stoked. This is my first "real" laptop purchase that was not an i3 for regular home use. Although, I do have a decent desktop for my games.
So anyway, I researched every brand and every configuration out there within the past 3 months and read reviews up to 2 years back on all brands from all types of sites. AW just stood out. I mean you can say other brands have their pros, but from what I've read, and experienced so far, they still don't compare to the customer service, style, and overall awesomeness of the R3. Period! I'm sure those other guys are great and units run as advertised, but so does AW. And some of those competitors have lemons produced and sold to people who spent a lot of money on a poor laptop, well so does AW. However, from what I've read, AW can back up their lemons that slip through the cracks and sold and take care of the customer themselves. Not by a 3rd party tech who may or may not know his butt from a hole in the ground.

I have been looking for a list of specific things that one would want to do(BIOS changes, software to get, certain driver updates/ website to find them, clean installs, etc..) as soon as they get their AW. It seems AW sends the customers the laptop set in a quiet, battery saving mode. Common sales technique, as even many new cars come with softer rubber in the factory tires so when you test drive them they will be quieter and smoother than ones you would later buy at a tire dealer. But either way, I'm sure it will not come to me with perfect settings. OK tangent over....

Here's the specs!
- 17.3 inch UHD (3840 x 2160) IGZO IPS Anti-Glare 400-nits Display
-Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HK (Quad-Core, 8MB Cache, Dynamically Overclocked up to 4.1GHz)
-16GB (2x8G) 2133MHz DDR4 Memory
-NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 980M with 8GB GDDR5
-128GB M.2 SATA 6Gb/s SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
-Killer Wireless 1535 Driver
-Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1
-240W AC Adapter
-8 Cell 92W Hour Battery

I plan on getting a PCIe SSD(or 2) for the extra slot(s) in the next couple weeks.

Any links to a location in the forum/Web would be handy. That kind of info is probably a sticky somewhere here I'm sure. I just figured I'd mention it here as I'm a lazy lazy guy today!

Thanks again and great to be here!!!

Bama78

Oh. I just realized this isn't that active of a forum... what a shame. Seems to have a decent UI. Decent number of noobs joining. What's the deal;)

Could use more emojis....js:D

Alienwulf

Sounds like you bought a real gaming system there. First thing I would do "is nothing" play on it for a while and make sure everything is fine. That way you know if you change something it was fine before. I use to sell returned systems to Alienware that I would then upgrade and sell on Ebay over 50 of them. So if it was me I would put it thru some serious testing before the updates and upgrades. Enjoy your killer system.

Bama78

Thanks man. Yeah I was going to get it set up...and put it through the ringer, so to speak, before any tweaks.
I have a Targus hd3 laptop cooler to keep it on and the a/c vent in the floor blows up to it. So I should be able to keep it nice and cool.
Probably gona get a new headset with my egift from AW.

The laptop is on a truck out for delivery right now!

Bama78

So far everything is great. Steam is acting up. Hanging up on Fable TLC before the game even gets thru the beginning scenes.

Bama78

Looked online and saw some folks were deleting the 3 intro videos to get fable to work. I did that and it worked perfectly. I just ordered a few other games, so I will update as I go through them.