test

Battlefield 3 problems on HP Pavilion

MattyB

My mate has an HP Pavilion (not sure of exact model right now). He recently purchased Battlefield 3. The game is freezing up a few levels into Campaign and Co-Op. It seems to be working perfectly until it freezes completely. Sometimes it will jump back to the Battlelog page but sometimes you have to shut it down from Task Manager. He has tried everything on Low settings with no luck.

I just want to see if anyone here can help troubleshoot for me. It has an i7-2630 and a 1GB AMD Radeon 6770 and 4Gb RAM. I don't know much about AMD cards and Nvidia seems a whole lot easier to update drivers. I have got him to update the Catalyst Control Centre and a few other optional AMD drivers. Is this what he needs to update the AMD graphics driver or is there something else?

I have told him that his first problem is that he needs an Alienware. Still working on that.

Please give me some ideas. Cheers.

I haven't played BF3 but I would suggest the first most standard stuff - update drivers, try re-installing the game. Is heating an issue? lot of problems I personally faced in many ways had to do with over heating, but doubt this is the case, but still a possibility.

And regarding your first problem advice - BAZINGA!

yikes81

Ok, it seems that there is a common issue with the AMD Radeon 6770 and BF3. Regardless of what driver you are using. I will keep looking into this and see if there is a solution.

yikes81

Some people are removing the AMD drivers and downgrading to old HP drivers. Then reducing the graphics to a mix of medium and low settings.

MattyB

Last edited:

AeonSoul

I guess this thread can go into the Battlefield section :p
Anyway, let us know, we'll dig deeper!

MattyB

I went around today and had a go for him. Not sure how it went. I will let you know. Thanks again.

MattyB

Froze again apparently. It took about an hour this time. It may be a heat thing. The first time it did it, it took a while too. Then it started happening quite often. I will get him to get a cooler and see how it goes. Other than that, best fix would be an M14x R2 I reckon.

buy a decent cooler (preferably one made for gaming laptops) and try to run in normal temperature. A couple of times I forgot to plug in the cooler and after some time my games used to terribly lag. Heating really messed up lot of things.

yikes81

He should have bought the Envy series. Otherwise, as you suggested, an Alienware.

MattyB

He didn't buy it for gaming originally. Just something to take out to work to watch movies on. He has been converted now anyway. He just needs the funds.

AeonSoul

Yeah lobotomize them people.
Anyway yeah, might be the heat and the GPU throttling.

yikes81

Tell him that he needs to do anything and everything that he can. Sell newspapers door to door if he has to!!

MattyB

Well I have pretty much tried everything else so it must be the throttling. The base of the laptop doesn't seem to be super hot though. I used to have a crappy Toshiba which I played MW1 on (when it first came out). I used to put those blue frozen muscle pack things under it. When they melted I would put them back in the freezer and take freshly frozen ones out. It worked like a charm! A cooling pad would never have worked. The underside of this thing could have cooked a steak!!

thats very bad man. It can kill you laptop and good possibility the reason of the problem. My old crappy hp pavilion got messed up because of the same heat issue.

yikes81

Well I have pretty much tried everything else so it must be the throttling. The base of the laptop doesn't seem to be super hot though. I used to have a crappy Toshiba which I played MW1 on (when it first came out). I used to put those blue frozen muscle pack things under it. When they melted I would put them back in the freezer and take freshly frozen ones out. It worked like a charm! A cooling pad would never have worked. The underside of this thing could have cooked a steak!!
That is so L.O.L.