Best method for connecting external monitor

DianneDSC

Jul 23, 2016
I've just received my first AW. I have an external monitor to connect that has a dvi-d connection (no HDMI) . Previously I used a mini display port to connect to my old laptop. My new AW 17 R3 does not have a mini display connection. What is the best method for connection?
- HDMI to dvi cable
- usb type c to mini display port adapter (for use with my current cable
- a different approach?
I use my external monitor for graphic software that needs access to the 980m, just like games need.

Thanks!

I am currently using the Alienware Graphics AMP but prior to that, with my Dell 27 " 4K monitor I connected HDMI (rear) to HDMI monitor. I also tried, for grins, using the lightning port (right side) converter to HDMI, then HDMI to monitor. All worked equally well. Of course there are a myriad of converters available (e.g. Amazon). Hope I didn't confuse.

DianneDSC

Jul 23, 2016
I am currently using the Alienware Graphics AMP but prior to that, with my Dell 27 " 4K monitor I connected HDMI (rear) to HDMI monitor. I also tried, for grins, using the lightning port (right side) converter to HDMI, then HDMI to monitor. All worked equally well. Of course there are a myriad of converters available (e.g. Amazon). Hope I didn't confuse.
Thanks for the info. My Dell 24" monitor does not have a HDMI just DVI and VGA. I may try the HDMI / DVI cable first since that's the least expensive, with cables from Amazon. Missing my extra monitor :)