test

Big performance drop

jezric

Hey folks, when I first got the A51m, it was super impressive, got the i7 version with the RTX2080 (desktop video card). I could pretty much peg any game to Ultra (Wildlands, Assassins Creed, Forza, Farcry ND, etc) and still get near to 144fps consistently.

Lately, just about every game has started to get really sluggish, and in a weird way... The fps will be 100+ and then pulse down to 10 and then back up on a regular interval. Seems a lot like something is throttling.

So, did some searches, came across posts about the newer firmwares causing CPU throttling due to heat. So, I manually downgrade to 1.5 firmware, and I see no difference. I have tried underclocking to keep the temps down, overclocking, etc. seems to make no difference.

Anyone else having similar issues with this beast? My warranty is about to expire, not sure if this is a warranty issue or not or frankly how Dell is with addressing obscure video issues... I haven't yet tried reinstalling Windows 10 as this really seems like a hardware issue. But I may do this just to see if it has any affect.

Thanks!