BIOS update error: No recognized file systems

Vamshi_anantha

I'm trying to update my BIOS, when I restart my laptop and try to flash BIOS it shows "No recognized file systems", and it gives only "ok" option to select which automatically restarts my laptop.

I've tried with both legacy/Uefi and secured boot on/off. Tried with Pendrive fat32 too.. nothing's working

Mine is AW 17 RE, Win 10.. old see attachment

As a last hope, I came here.. any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

MattyB

Staff member
I've never seen this issue sorry. You could try to reset the BIOS by jumping the CMOS pins but I'm not sure that will help. Luckily, I've never had a bad BIOS flash (touch wood).

Vamshi_anantha

Thanks for reply,

I finally able to progress.. I've removed my Hard disk and SSD, and attached an old hard disk from another laptop. Then tried flashing with same old USB drive.

Now I can select the update file and perform flashing..

But, only Main BIOS and Boot BLOCK got updated.. NV Ram and ME were not updated, my PC automatically restarted and BIOS showing updated version. (See attachment)

Is this good ? Or do i need to do anything to update NVRam and ME ? What the purpose of these two ?

I've again assembled my laptop to its original configuration (with its hard disk and SSD installed again)

Thanks again.

Attachments

MattyB

Staff member
I learnt yesterday that NVRAM is basically the CMOS (I believe). It stores basic system information. The 17 doesn't have the pin style CMOS battery that I mentioned previously and instead has the NVRAM but on the R1 it's on the opposite side of the motherboard and you have to take the machine completely apart to remove the battery and clear it. I am not sure at this stage what the ME is for.
Can you boot to Windows at all?