BIOS UPDATE FOR X51 R3

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Feb 2, 2012
If you have a non-K CPU, you should read this before updating your BIOS. Intel is locking the CPU so it cannot be overclock!!!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3031...ocking-party-by-closing-skylake-loophole.html

I checked to see if Dell released a BIOS update and sure enough they did. The are calling it "Enhanced the Intel Processor Performance". It really means they are shutting down your option to overclock it.

2016-02-10_0-16-37.png

Last edited:

EMINENT

Jan 24, 2016
If you have a CPU that ends with a K, you should read this before updating your BIOS. Intel is locking the CPU so it cannot be overclock!!!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3031...ocking-party-by-closing-skylake-loophole.html

I checked to see if Dell released a BIOS update and sure enough they did. The are calling it "Enhanced the Intel Processor Performance". It really means they are shutting down your option to overclock it.

View attachment 1865

I think you meant to write "that DOES NOT end with a K" as this only applies to non-K chips.

Marty

Sep 27, 2015
I have the original bios and a non k cpu and the over clocking options aren't there anyway? Are you sure that's what this bios update actually did, as mine is still on stock bios and has a non k CPU but I have zero overclocking options in my bios?

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Feb 2, 2012
I have the original bios and a non k cpu and the over clocking options aren't there anyway? Are you sure that's what this bios update actually did, as mine is still on stock bios and has a non k CPU but I have zero overclocking options in my bios?

The bios may have been updated before it shipped or it could be a location/region thing too.

Marty

Sep 27, 2015
Na, I got this R3 in December time, it's running bios 1.1.0 and has never been updated. I have an R1 and an R2 and they don't allow over locking either.

It's more likely the option was never there, and they genuinely did enhanced something ;)

Reactions: KurtH