Blower VS Dual Fan Cooling X51 R2

NebulaGray

Mar 4, 2017
I bought an Alienware X51 R2 which came with a GTX 745. After an attempt at playing Doom, I determined that an upgrade was in order. Now, I decided on a 1060 from EVGA but this card uses open fan cooling. Many Reddit users and some from this forum have informed me that if I were to install this card it would result in a vast explosion to kill my cat and equip me with 3rd degree burns. Cards with blower type coolers such as those in reference cards are usually recommended. However, I have also heard that those who installed cards with open fan cooling have everything performing fine. Specifically the open fan 1050 Ti. Really need information on this so I can decide what card I'm buying and any information is greatly appreciated.

Wanted card: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...m_re=GTX_1060_6GB_EVGA-_-14-487-275-_-Product

kelticknight

Nov 2, 2016
I installed the 1050ti gpu and performs perfect.uses same power as the stock gpu but way better results .I didn't have to add fans or mod the case. Have played all game including new cod and battlefield 1 with no issues .you could say it purrs like a cat

Reactions: NebulaGray

NebulaGray

Mar 4, 2017
I installed the 1050ti gpu and performs perfect.uses same power as the stock gpu but way better results .I didn't have to add fans or mod the case. Have played all game including new cod and battlefield 1 with no issues .you could say it purrs like a cat
Your one of many to say that the 1050 Ti performs flawlessly. I'm assuming your using an open fan model? If so, do you think the 1060 would make a big heat difference from the 1050 Ti? Because I was originally going to buy the 1050 Ti but wanted to go for something a little higher on the scale. I'm concerned because I haven't heard of any putting a non-reference model 1060 in the X51. Do you think it would work similarly to the 1050 Ti?

Last edited:

kelticknight

Nov 2, 2016
Was going for 1060 but was put off by mixed reviews. Some had no problems. Some did. For me I put in 16 GB good memory and open fan 1050ti .has ran flawless every since .next thing I have to do is get ssd drive will make faster. I have thrown everything at it and it runs great . I got 120 power brick too for extra juice.the thing with 1050ti it uses same power as stock gpu but off charts performance. That sold it for me