Buying an Alienware!

DanK561

Hi

I'm going to be ordering mine within the next couple of days. I will be using the search feature from then on lol.

It says the ship date is two weeks out though? Anyone else experience this? Also, better to get windows 8.1 or the 8.1 pro? not sure of the differences.

I will be taking my computer to the office everyday. Is it that bad to carry around? Sucks that I cant go mess with one in a store!

I've seen some people talk about too much dust collection within the computer. Will I need to open it on a regular basis to clean it out?

Any other issues I should know about?

Thanks so much in advance!

MattyB

Due to the customizing with AW, the machines are usually built to order so there is always some delay getting your machine. They don't have them sitting on a shelf waiting to be sent out.

I don't use Win 8 much so I can't help you with that question.

With regards to carrying one around, I never had much trouble lugging my 17 incher around. These days I have an M18x which is significantly heavier. I brought mine into the office today though and it's not that much of a pain. If you're taking public transport it could be a bit worse though.

The dust issue is really only a problem if you live in very dusty conditions or around lots of pet hair. Don't use your machine on the carpet/blankets either or it will want to suck more crap in. I check mine reasonably regularly and I haven't had any major buildup for ages.

Good luck with your decision. There are plenty of people here to help you if you run into any problems once you get it. Hardware and Software isn't always perfect. Asking a question here before you go do Dell can save you time and headaches.

DanK561

Thanks for the reply.

I'm mainly going to be using it at the office for work and then in my free time some gaming or whatever. I'm sure it can accommodate both!

Anyone know the differences between windows 8.1 and 8.1 pro?

Anything else i need to worry about??

Sarah

Win 8 is the home version of the OS and Win 8 pro is as the name suggests, aimed at a more professional audience. The main differences are things like full network support, domain join, bit locker, full user account control and configuration, remote desktop and full access to administrative tools and utilities. If you're just playing games then I doubt you'll need the extras that 8 Pro offers. Pro may be for you though since you plan on taking it into work.

The 17 is pretty heavy, but then I'm only a girl :). I can carry mine in a backpack for a 10 minute walk but it gets a bit difficult after that. The 18 is 3 pounds heavier but it is still portable as long as you don't plan on lugging it around town for a hour or more!

Keep your beast in a decent bag or laptop case and it should stay clear of dust :) Dell do a nice range of cases and backpacks that should suit your machine.

DanK561

How long have you had yours?

Which backpack do you use? I have to get some sort of a case that isnt terrible to carry lol. I will be using the alienware for a lot of work and some fun.

Have you had any issues with yours? Anything I should be aware of? Are you happy with it? I ordered mine a week ago and it isnt going to be shipped until 3/6/14!! im dying waiting!!

shankc

It doesn't usually take that long to ship but when it arrives its well worth the wait