Buzzing Sound when playing games or music

Bacon King

Dec 13, 2012
I have had an Alienware Aurora desktop since March 2011. Ever since I got it, I would occasionally hear a loud buzzing sound. It only lasts a second, but the image on the screen doesn't change whenever this happens. It freezes for a second. And it only happens when I'm playing games or listening to music (through both iTunes and Windows Media Player). When I'm browsing the Internet, on Youtube, or watching a DVD, the one-second buzzing/freezing does not happen. It only happens every few minutes, but it's quite annoying, and scares me half the time because I don't expect it.

After a few months, it got progressively more frequent. Sometimes my mouse would not work for a full minute in the middle of a game. Keyboard still works when that happens, but the mouse issue just kept getting more frequent. It made games unplayable. And about a month ago, the mouse suddenly stopped working entirely. The red light on the bottom of the mouse didn't even turn on anymore. But when I plugged the mouse into my son's desktop, the mouse worked fine. So I started thinking the mouse couldn't be defective, since it works fine on another computer.

I tried looking into this problem more, and went to device manager. There I found an exclamation point inside a yellow triangle under the USB options. It said a USB device was not working properly. I unplugged the non-working mouse, and the error disappeared. So then I tried my son's mouse on my computer and it worked! It went back to the way it was when I first got the computer. The freezing/buzzing only happens every couple of minutes and is only an annoyance. My games are no longer unplayable.

But I would still like to resolve the buzzing issue once and for all. Can anyone give me some advice or tell me what component needs to be fixed/updated/replaced so that I can play games without this annoying buzz?