Can Someone recommend an ADM Mobo i can use to upgrade my Aurora R4?

ekinzaghi

please i need help with my aurora R4 system. worked fine and all of a sudden the power exploded and i had to replace the unit. upon doing this it worked for some days and now when i turn it on nothing happens. but using the button on the dell pwer supply turns things on without display.
i have given up on the machine and wish to upgrade the board. please can someone help me make suggest an AMD board thats compatible with the aurora R4 case ?

Cass-Olé

I don't make hardware recommendations, but I can say that anything from Asus MSI Gigabyte AsRock will work, the form factor (size) of mthrbrd is micro-ATX (u-ATX), it'll need x1 USB 2.0 header for MIO board, & a CPU list is on WiKi
The top Ryzen2 chips are 3700(x) 3800(x) 3900(x) 3950x etc, X570 chipset, socket AM4. Search uTube for CPU & mthrbrd reviews / buying guides-tips. You'll need new DDR4 memory, 8Gb ok, 16Gb better. To re-use liquid cooler, purchase Asetek AM4 retention kit or search 01YGW eBay or try Corsair H80i etc if larger cooler needed over the original & see How to Install CmndCntr for non-Alien Mthrbrd

Last edited:

ekinzaghi

I don't make hardware recommendations, but I can say that anything from Asus MSI Gigabyte AsRock will work, the form factor (size) of mthrbrd is micro-ATX (u-ATX), it'll need x1 USB 2.0 header for MIO board, & a CPU list is on WiKi
The top Ryzen2 chips are 3700(x) 3800(x) 3900(x) 3950x etc, X399 chipset, socket AM4. Search uTube for CPU & mthrbrd reviews / buying guides-tips. You'll need new DDR4 memory, 8Gb ok, 16Gb better. To re-use liquid cooler, purchase Asetek AM4 retention kit or search 01YGW eBay or try Corsair H80i etc if larger cooler needed over the original & see How to Install CmndCntr for non-Alien Mthrbrd
Thanks a lot. So im essence i cant keep the original water cooling system from Dell?

Cass-Olé

To re-use 'original water cooling system from Dellware' (made by Asetek), purchase the correct retention ring kit for the mthrbrd socket u wish to use. The original R4 cooler ring kit is Intel socket 2011, if u go with AMD Ryzen u need an AM4 retention kit for the original cooler to mount (if u went with Intel 9700k X390 setup for example, you'd need an Intel 115x retention kit, the original R4 2011 cooler mounting ring is incompatible). The stock cooler is 27mm wide radiator, 01YGW is 38mm wide rad, Corsair 80i is 49mm wide rad: wider rads = better cooling. If buying a new cooler, check to see if AM4 ring is included, some companies sell them separate

ekinzaghi

To re-use 'original water cooling system from Dellware' (made by Asetek), purchase the correct retention ring kit for the mthrbrd socket u wish to use. The original R4 cooler ring kit is Intel socket 2011, if u go with AMD Ryzen u need an AM4 retention kit for the original cooler to mount (if u went with Intel 9700k X390 setup for example, you'd need an Intel 115x retention kit, the original R4 2011 cooler mounting ring is incompatible). The stock cooler is 27mm wide radiator, 01YGW is 38mm wide rad, Corsair 80i is 49mm wide rad: wider rads = better cooling. If buying a new cooler, check to see if AM4 ring is included, some companies sell them separate
Ohhh i see . My challenge is getting an Amd board with the usb 2.0 header. I will look for a new amd board that can work. Thanks a million for your inputs.Do u habe any recommended Amd board that can work ?.
Its better i get smtin sme1 has tested b4 rather than going on a wild chase online

Cass-Olé

(*Post contains edit at bottom) I haven't seen anyone do an Aurora Ryzen swap yet. The possible AM4 boards are X370 X470 & new X570 chipset. When I looked on MicroCenter last week, only one micro-ATX (mATX) X570 board existed, AsRock X570M

The rest are the (non-premium = less expensive but compatible) B450 chipset types, the newer B550 chipset (budget mthrbrds) isn't out yet (due soon)

Typical research project is Hardware Unboxed Ryzen 9 3950X on Good & Bad B450 Motherboards & Buildzoid Massive AM4 motherboard roundup 2019 // ALL X570 X470 and B450

I won't be doing an AMD swap anytime soon, so have no info on what or who to buy. If you find a mthrbrd in your price range through Amazon, MicroCenter, Newegg, check an online review of it (google-uTube etc). Typically if no one has done a swap yet it means someone out there has to be the 1st to do a wild goose chase for others to follow later. And like with the MicroCenter list, hopefully the more u spend the better your board is (but not always, which is why u need to look for a review of the candidate hardware, be it CPU, mthrbrd, memory, PSU, GPU etc). If you want the newest board you need X570, then search if Asus MSI or Giga make an m-ATX size, otherwise AsRock offers one

*You're welcome to wait for other member input, but were it me & since I have three MicroCenters in my area I'd do AsRock or the Asus TUF (since they cost the most), probably wait for Black Friday or Cyber Monday to look for deals
*I keep track (with saved photos) of who's done mthrbrd swaps in Area-51 R1 & Aurora R1-R4, very few Aurora swaps were done the past two years, all were Intel, none were AMD

Last edited:

ekinzaghi

(*Post contains edit at bottom) I haven't seen anyone do an Aurora Ryzen swap yet. The possible AM4 boards are X370 X470 & new X570 chipset. When I looked on MicroCenter last week, only one micro-ATX (mATX) X570 board existed, AsRock X570M

The rest are the (non-premium = less expensive but compatible) B450 chipset types, the newer B550 chipset (budget mthrbrds) isn't out yet (due soon)

Typical research project is Hardware Unboxed Ryzen 9 3950X on Good & Bad B450 Motherboards & Buildzoid Massive AM4 motherboard roundup 2019 // ALL X570 X470 and B450

I won't be doing an AMD swap anytime soon, so have no info on what or who to buy. If you find a mthrbrd in your price range through Amazon, MicroCenter, Newegg, check an online review of it (google-uTube etc). Typically if no one has done a swap yet it means someone out there has to be the 1st to do a wild goose chase for others to follow later. And like with the MicroCenter list, hopefully the more u spend the better your board is (but not always, which is why u need to look for a review of the candidate hardware, be it CPU, mthrbrd, memory, PSU, GPU etc). If you want the newest board you need X570, then search if Asus MSI or Giga make an m-ATX size, otherwise AsRock offers one

*You're welcome to wait for other member input, but were it me & since I have three MicroCenters in my area I'd do AsRock or the Asus TUF (since they cost the most), probably wait for Black Friday or Cyber Monday to look for deals
*I keep track (with saved photos) of who's done mthrbrd swaps in Area-51 R1 & Aurora R1-R4, very few Aurora swaps were done the past two years, all were Intel, none were AMD
Well i have been doing a wild search online and prefer to go on a budget. I hve placed Gigabyte GA-AB350M motherboard in my cart for now as well as a ryzen 5 2600 cpu . While waiting on black friday and cyber money i would love to get further inputs from ur end concerning any deals that might help me out considering i would love to have the items shipped b4 december 15

Cass-Olé

(*post has been edited at bottom)
Giga Aorus B450 M is $70, are u trying to spend less than 70 on yours? There's soooo much hardware to choose from these days, I don't get involved in what to buy. Feel free to look at reviews of the B350/450 mATX platforms. I won't be buying any new hardware in the next month so won't be doing a deep dive on hardware deals

Both of the Giga boards have x2 USB2.0 headers (which is typical), M.2 support which is good, the rest looks ok for Aurora, where R1-R4 is just a normal case with a daughterboard that needs software help (forum link from earlier) = no biggy, treat Aurora case like it's any other build

Note those two boards have x4 SATA ports, where-as original board has x6. If you get an M.2 drive involved (u should), then it's no biggy I guess

When buying a board, you grab the paper or online owner manual, check the front panel diagram as I just did for Giga B350/450 & compare it to Aurora case front panel diagram; in this instance the new mthrbrd would be plug & play relative to JFP1 (PINS 1-10 USED, PINS 11-20 NOT USED)
Capture.JPG

Good luck & await other member input with your project

*edit: "So in other words my choice is ok right?" Sure is. If you can find a review & like what you hear. It might need a USB3.0 adapter / extension if your cable won't reach the 3.0 header at bottom sill of mthrbrd

Last edited:

ekinzaghi

Giga Aorus B450 M is $70, are u trying to spend less than 70 on yours? There's soooo much hardware to choose from these days, I don't get involved in what to buy. Feel free to look at reviews of the B350/450 mATX platforms. I won't be buying any new hardware in the next month so won't be doing a deep dive on hardware deals

Both of the Giga boards have x2 USB2.0 headers (which is typical), M.2 support which is good, the rest looks ok for Aurora, where R1-R4 is just a normal case with a daughterboard that needs software help (forum link from earlier) = no biggy, treat Aurora case like it's any other build

Note those two boards have x4 SATA ports, where-as original board has x6. If you get an M.2 drive involved (u should), then it's no biggy I guess

When buying a board, you grab the paper or online owner manual, check the front panel diagram as I just did for Giga B350/450 & compare it to Aurora case front panel diagram; in this instance the new mthrbrd would be plug & play relative to JFP1 (PINS 1-10 USED, PINS 11-20 NOT USED)
View attachment 2974

Good luck & await other member input with your project
So in other words my choice is ok right ?

sneckit

i have built my aurora r1 alx with a ryzen 3600 in it. I used a b450 mortar MAX motherboard from msi. I also switched to a new watercooler as it was a pretty cheap upgrade.