Can you upgrade to a Gtx 1060 6GB (Alienware X51 R2)

Hi, i have an Alienware x51 R2 and i have been thinking about upgrading the graphics card for a while now, at the minute i have a GTX 745 and i was thinking about upgrading to a Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1060 WF2 6GB GDDR5 PCI-E, does anybody know if it is possible?

I'm currently running:
Processor: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz
Processor Main Features: 64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Cache Per Processor: 6 MB L3 Cache
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600
Storage: 1TB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM
Optical Drive: Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BR-ROM, DVD+/-RW, CD-RW)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB GDDR3
Power Supply: 240W External Power Supply
Operating System: Windows 10 64-Bit

Thanks, Elliott

Graphics Card: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-N...8&qid=1480115640&sr=1-1&keywords=gtx+1060+6gb

Last edited:

Ravgov

Hi, i have an Alienware x51 R2 and i have been thinking about upgrading the graphics card for a while now, at the minute i have a GTX 745 and i was thinking about upgrading to a Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1060 WF2 6GB GDDR5 PCI-E, does anybody know if it is possible?

I'm currently running:
Processor: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz
Processor Main Features: 64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Cache Per Processor: 6 MB L3 Cache
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600
Storage: 1TB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM
Optical Drive: Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BR-ROM, DVD+/-RW, CD-RW)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB GDDR3
Power Supply: 240W External Power Supply
Operating System: Windows 10 64-Bit

Thanks, Elliott

Graphics Card: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-N...8&qid=1480115640&sr=1-1&keywords=gtx+1060+6gb

Hello all,

New member here. JUST WANTED TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE WITH U.

So yes you can!

I upgraded my r2 from gtx 745 to gtx1060 6gb evga 6161 KR. The card fits perfectly, actually its very smaller than the actual available space (the plastic hook though dont fit but its not needed). It works fine up to now.

I run ROTR in very hight settings, triple buffering, and SMAA antialising with about 40 - 58 frames. The temperature after 2 hours of play reaches 82C but does not cross over 82C at any time (with evga precision custom fan curve on). According to evga support (I asked them) this is perfectly normal for ROTR as it is a very demanding game.

For better airflow (and watt efficiency / with the 330W brick upgrade) I also removed the dvd and replaced the HDD 1T with a nice SSD 480.

:)

Ravgov

intrep1d

I'll post temps in the morning. I will say that the gpu fans do a fair amount of down shifting while gaming. PC doesn't sound stressed at all to stay cool. I did run a couple 3D mark tests, and GTA V benchmarks and it's completely stable. Probably played about 10 hours of demanding gaming with the card and no hiccups/reboots/cutouts of any sort.

Ravgov

I'll post temps in the morning. I will say that the gpu fans do a fair amount of down shifting while gaming. PC doesn't sound stressed at all to stay cool. I did run a couple 3D mark tests, and GTA V benchmarks and it's completely stable. Probably played about 10 hours of demanding gaming with the card and no hiccups/reboots/cutouts of any sort.

hello - u didnt mentioned the gpu u installed :)

MaximusP

Hello all,

New member here. JUST WANTED TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE WITH U.

So yes you can!

I upgraded my r2 from gtx 745 to gtx1060 6gb evga 6161 KR. The card fits perfectly, actually its very smaller than the actual available space (the plastic hook though dont fit but its not needed). It works fine up to now.

I run ROTR in very hight settings, triple buffering, and SMAA antialising with about 40 - 58 frames. The temperature after 2 hours of play reaches 82C but does not cross over 82C at any time (with evga precision custom fan curve on). According to evga support (I asked them) this is perfectly normal for ROTR as it is a very demanding game.

For better airflow (and watt efficiency / with the 330W brick upgrade) I also removed the dvd and replaced the HDD 1T with a nice SSD 480.

:)
Did you have to upgrade to the 330w, or do u think i could run a asus 1060 3gb with a 240 watt?

8*sectorb6

Fitting Isn't the issue. Its short Because its not a Blower style gpu. The fans in a blower style shoot the hot air out the back of the case.
Those small gpu the fan design forces the air Down and into your case, which might be a problem.

Most case's that use these types of cards -Are much larger inside, and have many case fans to displace heat within case. So just because it fits Doesn't mean it's a Good fit

MaximusP

Fitting Isn't the issue. Its short Because its not a Blower style gpu. The fans in a blower style shoot the hot air out the back of the case.
Those small gpu the fan design forces the air Down and into your case, which might be a problem.

Most case's that use these types of cards -Are much larger inside, and have many case fans to displace heat within case. So just because it fits Doesn't mean it's a Good fit
Do I need to buy a 330w power supply to use a 1060

8*sectorb6

This is most people problems..there are no blower style cards available for our x51..and miners have driven prices up.. making cards very expensive.
I do not feel comfortable putting in these small NON blower cards.

Some here will disagree ..and have done so.

Its really up to you. Browse forum here for more details
and best of luck

MURRARI

I wish I had a dollar for every post about GPU compatibility... please search the forums before posting repetitive topics.

Perhaps someone should do a sticky thread on GPU compatibility with the X51.