Cannot reinstall OS

Mirel

May 31, 2021
Aurora
I have an Alienware 15 r3 with the following specifications:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ (Q uad-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 3.5 GHz w/Turbo Boost)

NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1060 OC with 6GB GDDR5

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 at 2400MHz

256GB PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 72 00RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IP S Anti-Glare 300-nits Display

After a couple of times that I had to reinstall the OS, starting from October 2019, after multiple freezes after ½-1 hour of running, in April 2021, I have decided that I have to fresh reinstall the OS, but before that, to try once more the Recovery Tool from Alienware. Well, it didn’t work, so I went ahead with the clean installation of the OS. I have downloaded the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft using their Download Tool and I have created a booting UEFI USB using Rufus.

I have updated the firmware to the last version, run a full hardware test and try to do the installation. I have tried to install the OS more than ten times and every time was stopping with a different BSOD, after 35%, 56% or even 96%, but most of the time irql_not_less_or_equal. I have even tried to do the installation using only one memory stick in different slots and even replaced the memory and the SSD drive with new ones, but with the same result. Below is the BIOS setup I’m using and the results from the hardware test. What do I do wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_2309.jpg
    IMG_2309.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2310.jpg
    IMG_2310.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2311.jpg
    IMG_2311.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2312.jpg
    IMG_2312.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2313.jpg
    IMG_2313.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2314.jpg
    IMG_2314.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2315.jpg
    IMG_2315.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2316.jpg
    IMG_2316.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2317.jpg
    IMG_2317.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 3

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Hello, I replied to your thread on the Dell forum but I have only just noticed your CPU temperature. You should not be hitting 90 degrees just during the diagnostic. It is very possible that your crashes are due to overheating. First thing to do would be to remove the heatsinks and clean out any dust/fluff that has built up over the years and then repaste your CPU and GPU.

ArcWhyte

May 17, 2021
Nigeria

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ (Q uad-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 3.5 GHz w/Turbo Boost)

After a couple of times that I had to reinstall the OS, starting from October 2019, after multiple freezes after ½-1 hour of running, in April 2021, I have decided that I have to fresh reinstall the OS, but before that, to try once more the Recovery Tool from Alienware. Well, it didn’t work, so I went ahead with the clean installation of the OS. I have downloaded the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft using their Download Tool and I have created a booting UEFI USB using Rufus.

I have updated the firmware to the last version, run a full hardware test and try to do the installation. I have tried to install the OS more than ten times and every time was stopping with a different BSOD, after 35%, 56% or even 96%, but most of the time irql_not_less_or_equal. I have even tried to do the installation using only one memory stick in different slots and even replaced the memory and the SSD drive with new ones, but with the same result. Below is the BIOS setup I’m using and the results from the hardware test. What do I do wrong?
Yes I had this issue... Truth is even if you are able to install it, you'll get frequent crashes (every time)

The solution is to download the OS from Dell... Withe your service tag they can find the right one that came originally with your laptop....

The difference is the OS downloaded form Dell creates a recovery partition and other stuff... Dell just doesn't want you installing raw Windows OS on their devices...

Hope this helps
Thank you. I'll do that.

Mirel

May 31, 2021
Aurora
You are right. After repaste, the CPU temperature went down to 76 degrees (from 90) after one hour of running. I was able to install the OS (last version), but it doesn't last more than 10 minutes, without doing anything, and crashes in BSOD with different error messages. I have run the long hardware test (over 4 hours) without a problem but restarting the laptop I have the same result. I was even thinking of "cooking" (reflow) the motherboard as the last resort. I did it on a MacBook Pro 2008 a couple of years ago, and it is still running.
I have meanwhile tried again the OS recovery Tool from Alienware for my TAG and it did not work. It stoped at 63% of the test first time, second and next few times I did not get as far. I'm out of options and I would probably try the ultimate solution. Any other ideas? Maybe to try to install Linux? Ubuntu or Mint will work? I'm justs trying to use this laptop for something because I have already replace it with a Dell G7 and my son is very happy with the 10th generation i7 and RTX 2060.

ArcWhyte

May 17, 2021
Nigeria
You are right. After repaste, the CPU temperature went down to 76 degrees (from 90) after one hour of running. I was able to install the OS (last version), but it doesn't last more than 10 minutes, without doing anything, and crashes in BSOD with different error messages. I have run the long hardware test (over 4 hours) without a problem but restarting the laptop I have the same result. I was even thinking of "cooking" (reflow) the motherboard as the last resort. I did it on a MacBook Pro 2008 a couple of years ago, and it is still running.
I have meanwhile tried again the OS recovery Tool from Alienware for my TAG and it did not work. It stoped at 63% of the test first time, second and next few times I did not get as far. I'm out of options and I would probably try the ultimate solution. Any other ideas? Maybe to try to install Linux? Ubuntu or Mint will work? I'm justs trying to use this laptop for something because I have already replace it with a Dell G7 and my son is very happy with the 10th generation i7 and RTX 2060.
Download the iso file manually from Dell site.... Then use the OS recovery tool to create a thumb drive...offline...

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/osiso/win

Use the above link and input your service tag....

There is problem with the bootloader preventing the online recovery.....

Thank me later

Mirel

May 31, 2021
Aurora
I have tried your suggestion and it did work up to 56% of the installation. This time the USB was 5.72 GB. I have installed Mint 20.1 without even changing to Legacy mode and it is still working. I'm playing songs on YouTube and Firefox crashed once after 25 minutes, but not the OS. It is working for more than one hour and a half so far. Maybe is the f... new version of Windows.

Attachments

• IMG_2345.jpg
    IMG_2345.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 1

Hey Buddy I remember reading a while ago ,on the Good Ol" Dell Alienware Site ,,,,, As some one elis was saying .. This Ol" Dell guy poped out of the wood work > an suggested" TO Remove Bat" an ... dont touch it for 3 day"s ... Then reinstall Bat " an push in that good Ol " start botton ...An WAL""" LA "" Its another ,, Fine" fine . Miracle " > BadWolf1 Aurora R4 Super Chicken Hawk "

I have tried your suggestion and it did work up to 56% of the installation. This time the USB was 5.72 GB. I have installed Mint 20.1 without even changing to Legacy mode and it is still working. I'm playing songs on YouTube and Firefox crashed once after 25 minutes, but not the OS. It is working for more than one hour and a half so far. Maybe is the f... new version of Windows.
The iso image is at least 5gb.. you need at least 10gb USB drive.... Install the oldest Version you can find.... For the 17 r3 I think it's 4.5gb or so..... Then run Windows upgrade for 21h2.... It's stable

chatmandu_uk

Apr 9, 2021
UK
It could be dodgy RAM. I've had a similar issue in the past. When installing the OS the data is first copied into RAM and then onto the HDD. If the RAM is faulty the data gets corrupted and you BSOD during install.

Remove one stick and see if the problem persists.
If it's still bad, try the other stick.
If it works with one of the sticks, try swapping it to the other slot to see if it is a slot or RAM issue.

Good luck.